Odd Snail behavior?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MoFireFish

I have a small snail, I believe it is a baby turbo snail. I actually have 2 of these in my tank. They are brown in color and have a tiny shell that looks similar to that of a turbo. Anyway, I have seen them on several occasions shoot out some white milky stuff from near their head, does anyone know why they are doing this? I have tested my water, everything seems normal. I have coral in there Xenia, polyps, kenya tree, LT plate coral and some mushrooms. I also have hermits and 1 neon goby. Should I be concerned about this odd behavior? I know turbos can release toxins into the water and I want to make sure this is not what they are doing! I've seen them do it before and haven't noticed any ill effects on my tank.

Welcome to RF!! As for your snail, couldn't say I've seen that happen before, but in any event, I wouldn't think they would be releasing any toxins. Here's a bump incase someone else may know. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it here:)

I watched 3 of my sea slugs rear their heads and do an almost simultaneous release event the other day similar to what you describe...I suspect that it is some form of reproduction...kind of like clams do?

I've seen bristleworms do it, stomatella do it, urchins do it, coco worms do it..

“Birds do it, bees do it, even educated fleas do it. Let's do it, let's fall in love.”
-Cole Porter

Wow that happened to me too. And then I got eggs on my glass. Cool. Haven't seen any eggs hatch though. Or any baby snails. Do they usually get eaten?

Most eggs or babies get eaten in anything other than a refugium, and even then only those that don't go through a planktonic stage have a good chance of survival. I have small ceriths, collonista, columbellids, and stomatella in the tank.

Back