oddball freaky weird mini ninja turtle nidibranchsnail?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BEELZEBOB

so i found These weird AND CREEPY lil things today, sorry no pics my only camera is disposable.

but i can offer a thurough description.

you know the macro algae that has like lil bulbs instead of long branches or leaf like things?

yea good.

i got that, and today on my lunch break i was camped out in front of my tank. and noticed that a few of the bulbs were moving!?!?!

turns out its not the actually bulbs, (but i thinK their supposed to look like they are)

they look like a pea, with a mini nudibranch head, tiny like the size of this "O"

but the pea part is like a snail shell that the heads retract into (i poked one)

so i have a hoard of these tiny green snal/nudis with a nudi head and a mini ninja turtle body

any idea what im talking about? are they bad good or in between?

They are most likely a slug and not a nudibranch, and given their description of matching the algae in appearance, I think its a safe bet to say that they feed soley on that species of algae. A few are not likely to be of any concern, but if they get to be too many, they could ruin your macro algae.

Sea Slugs and Nudibranch

Chuck

index.php

things are weird.

Awesome photo, and great ID. Interesting information on them, too. I'll be curious to how long they live, or what the impact on your caulerpa will be with the population you described. In a book I have there is a pic of Berthelinia rottnesti, which has a slightly different looking shell. The shell of the one in the book, looks more "dome-ish", and doesn't have the stripes like in the pic you posted. It is referred to as a bivalve gastropod.

Back