Odyssea 48' HQI 250watt

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

packer

Anyone have one of these and how is it holding up? I am looking at the new model with electronic ballasts. Dont want to try to save a few bucks if they are junk and crap out in short order.

48'? WOW, what kind of tank is THIS going on! All kidding aside though, I've read even worse things than noonesname124 has stated, that even the fixture isn't worth anything. At any rate I'd look elsewhere.

I figured the bulbs would be garbage, but had hopes the rest would be ok. Planned on using higher grade bulbs. I contacted them about the type of ballast and they really did not give me any info except to state they are not pulse start ballasts. And if the ballast and bulbs are no good...whats the point?? Especially since another board someone also stated the internal fans burn out almost immediatly, another bad point. Sounds like I will avoid them unless someone chimes in with good news!

I am also looking for a new fixture so I will moniter this post and see what some suggestions will be..Hopefully I can get an idea of where to look for fixtures...Thanks..Shane

The ballasts put out 170W and they will fire up name brand bulbs but the bulb will not burn properly.

bottom line, if you got softies and LPS, this fixture is worth the low low price IMO. It actually looks very well built and neat, but the ballasts suck.

I've been using it for 18 months and nothing broke down. Once I bought Icecaps+Phoenix 14000k's is when i realized how crappy this thing really was.

Here's everything you need to know about the fixture:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1037172

Ballasts are crap. Still using the bulbs and fixtures with a blue wave balast but going to replace the bulbs. Have ran one for almost a year. All the fans work still.
Not saying I have great coral growth with the bulbsbut they work.

Last edited:
So its a decent setup if I run icecap ballasts? I want just the HQI and not the setup with the additional lights so that wont be but 200.00 to switch out ballasts and planned on upgrading bulbs anyway. Is there a setup that would be better for just two 250w HQI ?

Back