Odyssea lights: good-bad? does anyone know?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

the6goat6man6

I found these lights that seem too good to be true. Then i read they catch fire, and no one seems to stock them! Hum, then i read a reveiw that said they were good but better to later upgrade the ballasts. I really like the features, 2-250w MH, 4-55w t-5, 6 lunars. and the price, well thats what throws aflag

You get what you pay for. I have a friend that has one and he upgraded the ballast to some sunlightght supply electronic ballasts. He then buys a new fixture every year or two so as it's cheaper to buy the fixture than replacing the bullbs. Lol. He then has parts if there are issues. He grows some nice corals. He will then sell the fixture with out bulbs and it works for him. Lol. Not what I would do but to each his own.

sounds like alot of hasle, setup, order new, tear down, setup, sell, order new......i don't think so
You get what you pay for. I have a friend that has one and he upgraded the ballast to some sunlightght supply electronic ballasts. He then buys a new fixture every year or two so as it's cheaper to buy the fixture than replacing the bullbs. Lol. He then has parts if there are issues. He grows some nice corals. He will then sell the fixture with out bulbs and it works for him. Lol. Not what I would do but to each his own.

POS in my humble opinion. I had the opportunity to open an Odyssea unit up that had a combination of PC and MH lighting and let's just say it wasn't very pretty. Wiring job was fair at best and the quality was well you get the idea.

Best and cheap do not go hand and hand. Cheap = You get what you paid for, cheap parts, poor quality, poor craftsmenship.

IMHO (In My Honest Opinion), lights and skimmers are something that you should NOT go cheap on. Do it right the first time, and pay the money upfront and be done with it. Will save you problems down the road.

I'm looking for a light fixture to put on my new 52 gallon cube. It is 24" I would like to put Mh or LED on this tank. Anyone have ideas? I have been looking at these fixtures also.

IDEAS??

wasn,t gonna go cheap with either skimmer ( i like the swc extreme) or the lights. But a like the set up, most i've found don't have moon lights, or just 2 t-5 or 2 PCs, or are only 150w MH.

I am looking for a 2-250w MH, 4-T-5s or 4-PCs, Moon lights, cooling fans, remote ballasts, oh and 48". I know i probably want alot. I found one i like, the MH pivot, very $ and only 150w, cost more than most 250w same options(without pivot).

With all said I am finding it hard to find one I like. I use a Current Nova extreme(?)6-T-5s, on my 40gal Tall, and i like it. I found a current fixture with MH and all i want, but i can find a pic of the lamp layout!?
Can anyone help, Money is always a factor, but one thing about me, I like nice things and would rather pay a little more now and get the better one, than have to fix or replace later which usually cost more any ways
IMHO (In My Honest Opinion), lights and skimmers are something that you should NOT go cheap on. Do it right the first time, and pay the money upfront and be done with it. Will save you problems down the road.

you as well should consider going LED...
depending upon your depth, 2 of these fixtures should give you enough spread for 4',
and you wouldnt have to pay to change out bulbs every 6-9 months.
Evolution LED Light 120w 1G [20K] : REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids
thats the same price as a good MH ballast, reflector, and bulb if not cheaper,
and also takes the place of your t5's as well with much better flourecence.
thete is also 14k if you dont want a 20k fixture...
these are the cheaper LED fixtures out there that are worth a damn.

of course you can spend more money for better fixtures if u want... :)
AI is probably best in my book,
although im waiting to drop a load on lights until we have a controllable RGB LED light fixture that doesnt cost over $1000...

I currently have the Maristar unit from Sunlight Supply. Great setup. I was looking at going cheap and getting the Odyssea lights and am glad that I didn't do it. You can find the Maristar units used for about half price if your not in too big of a hurry. Doesn't have moonlights but you can add some cheap ones to your tank if that is important to you.

Not saying you should get one but have had a 250 odyssea (dual compacts) with a 14k phoenix bulb for 2 years now. Bought it used too. Haven't had any problems yet. Little overkill for my 36 though.

I bought a used odyssea fixture that works fine for me. The stock ballasts need to be replaced or moded if your good with electronics to get an actual 250w out of them on the hallides. I bought a couple Lumatek ballasts and have had no problems.

My odyssey lights have been going strong for 2 years with no issues whatsoever. I ended up modding one of the transformers and they do work better with this. I also upgraded some to digital and they work great to. Overall a solid light.

nice, you think one will spred 48"? my tank is 30" deep. I've been lookig at some LEDs, just not sure yey. Have seen these in person? And would you put them on your tank?
you as well should consider going LED...
depending upon your depth, 2 of these fixtures should give you enough spread for 4',
and you wouldnt have to pay to change out bulbs every 6-9 months.
Evolution LED Light 120w 1G [20K] : REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids
thats the same price as a good MH ballast, reflector, and bulb if not cheaper,
and also takes the place of your t5's as well with much better flourecence.
thete is also 14k if you dont want a 20k fixture...
these are the cheaper LED fixtures out there that are worth a damn.

Back