Ok, how much do you top off your tank in a day.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wentreefgirl

Salt waterlogged!!
I used to just top off every 4 days or so with 2 gallons. Now I top of 2 gallons every day. Why do i go through so much in a day with a reef ready? :eek: :D

Oh, Wentreefgirl, I just wanted to add, the reason why I only top off 1 gal every other day, is probably because I don't have any fish and I'm not running any lights while my tank cycles.

Well ,all of these gallon per day numbers really don't mean anything unless they are given as "relative" to the total water volume. :cool:

Now, wentreefgirl has 2 gal. per day divided by 55 gal. volume, or 3.6% per day.

Ok ,so charlie has 6.5 gal. per day divided by 475 gal. volume, or 1.4% per day.

Wayupnorth has 1.5 % in his 230 gal.

I happen to have 1/2 gal. per day from 34 gal. of volume, which is 1.5% in my case.

If you were leaking, your salinity would be going down steadily. You are using a chiller. so you obviously have a good amount of heat to dissapate. Check your salinity, and if it is steady(and without adjustments to keep it that way ), then you aren't leaking and it's just a matter of your heat and atmospheric conditions. No biggie! ;)

Best of luck on your 90 gal. as well. :) Wave98

Last edited:
Ok, I am not Wave98, but if evaporated 2 gallons in a 120 gallon system, that would 1.6%.
I lose 1 gallon a day in my 80 with a 30 gallon sump, which is about 1%. Hope this helps you out. If the numbers are wrong I apologize, but I do see where he gets his numbers. :D

That's the way it looks but I think that a lot more has to be factored in such as size of sump (mine is a 77g with a water volume of probably 45g) room temperature, lights, amount of live rock (thereby reducing total water volume) etc. I am sure that there are people out there that actually LIKE to figure stuff like this out.

Ruth

Wayupnorth said:
That's the way it looks but I think that a lot more has to be factored in such as size of sump (mine is a 77g with a water volume of probably 45g) room temperature, lights, amount of live rock (thereby reducing total water volume) etc. I am sure that there are people out there that actually LIKE to figure stuff like this out.

Ruth

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, there are sometimes when you can get a little to technical. I just get up in the AM, fill up the 5 gallon bucket however many times it takes, and then go write it down.

Back