Ok, how much do you top off your tank in a day.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

75 gallon tank open top
15 gallon sump covered top
--------------------------
90 gallon total

Chiller & MH lighting
I put in 1/2 gallon a day.

0.5% a day topoff.

Wave98, what would be your theory if the tank was a 90?

Reefgirl, I don't have a theory. I just converted some given values that were otherwise meaningless, into percentages, so that they could be compared.

> makeup water / water volume X 100 = percentage :cool:

That comparison showed you to be making up water at a rate of 3.6% per day on your previous tank( you were referring to your 55 gal. right? ), compared to a more common value from other examples, of about 1.5%

That's the way it looks but I think that a lot more has to be factored in such as size of sump (mine is a 77g with a water volume of probably 45g) room temperature, lights, amount of live rock (thereby reducing total water volume) etc. I am sure that there are people out there that actually LIKE to figure stuff like this out.

I purposely left out considerations about "actual water volume" in particular, because none of the offered information included that, besides which, I figured people would get "touchy" about being so technical, which they already have! ;)

Some of you are reporting percentages now, and that gives Wentreefgirl, and all of us a better framework for comparison.

Back to the original question. Now that we have some good numbers for comparison, your daily usage was more than twice that of most other tanks, and that is very interesting. Have you been checking your salinity? With all the lights and chillers etc. that you are running, you need a refractometer. :D

If you don't have one order it now! Hopefully some members with similar lighting and tank size will post here( in percentage ), and you will get a better comparison. Tell me about your corals from Garf, I'm considering them ( very tentatively ).

Best of luck with your 90 gal., it sounds like a nice system. > :) Wave98

There you go! Waterdogs posted while I was typing( I'm slow ). He's got your size and similar lighting. look at the daily percentage compared to the 3.6% you used to have.

So check it out with "Waterdogs", He has a handle on it!

Happy reef keeping Wave98 :)

Back