Old 'live" sand

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wow is it worth the $100 to buy sand? Im thinking not...

I suppose it is up to the hobbyist...personally, I have never encountered a problem re-using old substates once they were properly cleaned. If you think about it, it is really no different than using LR from another tank, just a different particle size...:)

I do think however in this day and age of super tough reef pests like red bugs and such, one should definately boil the sand to sterilize it. If it came from a tank that was once heavily medicated, than it may be best not to use it, otherwise, I think generally it is just as safe as buying new sand....

MikeS

I do think however in this day and age of super tough reef pests like red bugs and such, one should definately boil the sand to sterilize it. If it came from a tank that was once heavily medicated, than it may be best not to use it, otherwise, I think generally it is just as safe as buying new sand....

MikeS

In todays day and age trading sand and LR is as risky as swapping boxers.:)

Don

Yes Boil Boil Boil First I Tried The Method Of Rinse And Use Ahhh Tank Freeked
Did A Nother Tank Boiled Rinsed Dried Just Like New!!!!cycled Better Too!

what if you turn the used boxers inside out? frontside/backside spin? can you get another weeks wear out of them before you wash them in boiling water? he heh

I've got an old sand bed 4" think in my 135 that needs to be pulled out, full of organics, I'll only add back an inch of it afterwards.

and to be honest, I'm more a briefs guy that boxers, boxers let the junk bounce around too much, it can turn into a jump rope gone out of control..............grins. but now back to the sand issue at hand.

Hi,

Some strange comments found here, live marine sand in uk comes in plastic bags I agree its sealed but what the difference its been sat on a shelf for however long and yet what people are suggesting here that they would be happy to use that and yet your worried about sand thats been sat in buckets in a garage for two weeks?
As for nasties in it what nasties again apply the logic from above and the sealed bags in the shop must be nasties in there also?
Be interested to know what you do with that sand i personally think it would be a great shame to bin it.

Ricki

Hi,

Some strange comments found here, live marine sand in uk comes in plastic bags I agree its sealed but what the difference its been sat on a shelf for however long and yet what people are suggesting here that they would be happy to use that and yet your worried about sand thats been sat in buckets in a garage for two weeks?
As for nasties in it what nasties again apply the logic from above and the sealed bags in the shop must be nasties in there also?
Be interested to know what you do with that sand i personally think it would be a great shame to bin it.

Ricki

I think your missing the point. You dont have a clue if the stuff is loaded with meds of copper or what ever unless this came from someone you new well. The crap they sell in a bag is just sand in a bag. Its dead wet nasty sand. It sits in an air tight bag and once th o2 is depleated its just full of o2 deprived dead bacteria and what ever may happen to have been in it. One thing you can pretty much count on with that crap is that no one dosed it with copper of other fish meds so I guess it has one advantage. Personally I prefer plain white dead dry sand.

Don

Back