Old newbie

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Oldsalt01

Hey Folks. New to this site, but from what I've seen so far, I'm impressed. A little background on me. Started my 1st salt tank in 1970 while stationed in Norfolk VA with the Navy. We lived a 1/2 block from the Bay and I made uncountable trips to and from the beach, hauling wet sand and sea water (shudder) to fill my 20g long. Then I went out and hand netted silversides, baby Atlantic Spadefish, glass shrimp and a baby Horseshoe Crab, tossed em in and away we went. Had an Aquamaster box filter, air pump, and an aquarium with a nickle plated steel frame that corroded badly over the next year. Would do 50% weekly H2O changes (from the Bay!), and when I was discharged took all my wildlife and put em back where I'd gotten them. By then, the Spadefish were about 3", and as I remember I never lost a single organism (the pollution in the H2O probably preserved them). Since then I've had many salt tanks; FO, FOWLR's, and for a while had my own saltwater tank installation and maintenance business. Tore down my last FOWLR 14 years ago after a water disaster involving live rock and an R/O system that went horribly wrong. Been out of the "hobby" since then, but my wife and I feel it's time to get back in. We are going to be relocating to Fla this spring, and that's when I plan on setting up another FOWLR. So right now I'm doing research to prepare for that cuz technology has certainly come a long way in 14 yrs. We're gonna start small (14g AIO), but I know that will be upgraded in short order to a bigger tank. I'm sure I'll have plenty of stupid ?'s about lighting, water parameters, and cycling, so bear with me. I'm here to learn, or re-learn. Whatever.

It'll be several months before the tank's started, cuz we are relocating to Fla's East coast sometime this Spring, but I'll be more than happy to document and post. Still not sure whether I'm going with live or dry rock. I love the "live" rock an don't even mind the hitchhikers, and I do like the idea of a faster cycle. My onliest concern is the Aiptasia's. I had an awful time with them in my last tank, then came the disaster with the copper (bad R/O unit) which obviously did my rock in. I'll deal with that when the time comes. I'll keep everyone updated.

K

Back