old school tank set ups

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

randymon

I am planning a new tank soon and would like to see and hear about tanks that are run anti high tech the old school way. Sumpless, canister filters, ugf, vhos etc. Pics and specs would be great.. Thanks

Well here is a picture of my tank. when I was using a millenium over the back filter with a heater, powerhead and Flourecent bulbs.Leathers,Mushrooms and Star polyps did great but with no skimmer began to heve algae problems.Hope this helps...:lol:....Welcome to RF..If you like Reef tanks i think you will love it here.OH Yeah...Thats not Old School

I guess Nikki said it. My reef is definately old school. I set it up in the early seventees and it is just about the same now as it was then. Sumpless with a UG filter, only now I run it in reverse.
I don't use a canister any more but I do use a diatom filter occasionally.
Paul

if u wanna go lotec just run a Protien skimmer lots of live rock high water flow and some good lighting pc's flour combo dont know how much pcs are havent used them but would love to temp problems are bad for my acros canister filters promote the groth of red slime algea on sand and hair algea ill be taking mine off in the next couple days and just run a skimmer
good luck in ur new adventure

Here are some pictures of my tank from maybe 20 years ago. One of these appeared in "Marine Fish Monthly"
It's not that old. You guys are all just too young. I got amphipods older than some of the members here.:lol:
Paul

its where everyone was doin drugs and nobody really minded ow yeh and they had a war

"its where everyone was doin drugs and nobody really minded ow yeh and they had a war."

Been there, done that,
And Morgan, I made it to Australia too. Kings Cross, in Sydney. Thats when it was a nice place. :badgrin:

To keep it about fish, I did get to find some fresh water red tail sharks in a pond in Cambodia :razz: Most of the other time I was doing that other "War" stuff like trying to kep alive.;)

Have fun.
Paul

and smoking weed through a shotgun i saw that on steakandcheese.com if anyone has seen that webpage (approch with caution)
thats pretty god on the redtails how big were they a mates got 1 in his freshwater tank which i brought for him and has grown alot really cool little fish

Morgan, I don't remember how big the red tail sharks were but in the wild they are not really black and their tails are not that red. They are bred that way.
As for smoking through a shotgun, that would be rediculous.
Having a shotgun in Nam is also rediculous although some guys carried them.
An M-16 worked just fine.
Paul

Back