OMG! Look at this Lion I caught!!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Krish

RF STAFF
Are these things supposed to be in our waters here in the Bahamas? We went in the boat today and I caught this lion fish and knew I couldn't keep him so I put him back where I got him. I called Andrew and told him about it and he said if I can find him, catch him because he will put it in his tank seeing he has no fish, so I caught him again. Are they supposed to be here?

I'm not an expert on lion fish, but I thought all of them are from Indo_pacific waters?

Unless hobbyists release them?

Best,
Ilham

I'm not an expert on lion fish, but I thought all of them are from Indo_pacific waters?

Unless hobbyists release them?

Best,
Ilham

That's what I am afraid of...Hope there aren't any more in our waters.

that is cool , not sure if they are native or not though

Yeah, he is cool...Andrew says he is swimming around in his tank now. We are going to find out the situation on them to see what is what.

that is a very nice lion could of got some good coin for that krish how big is it
id like to see it in ur mates tank if u can get a pic
hobbiyst is most likely i guess but fish do swim and they can swim a long way

Thanks Scooter and Morgan. I will try and get a pic in Andrew's tank. The picture was taken inside of a 2.5 gal bucket so I'd say he was about 4-5 inches. Here's a brain coral I found broken off as well, but left it...

Last edited:
I have read recent news reports that say they may be breeding in the Atlantic off the southeastern coast of the US.

Looks like they have been in the Atlantic for a while now.
That link is about 9 months old.

Thanks for that link Martin! That is a very scarey thing! They could deplete our waters fish (like they say) bigtime if we have a lot of them here! You are right Ilham! I would have felt really bad if I had left him and found all of this out...Andrew says he will call the Department of fisheries tomorrow and let them know...

Last edited:
Did you find the fish in an area where alot of people swim?

Definately! It was exactly off to the side of where we anchored the yacht in about 8ft of water at the most around a very small reef. The reef was 3 seperate rocks about 10ft at the most in diameter and was loaded with tons of small fish like baby grunts, wrasses etc. When I got him, his stomach was fat like he just ate. He even pooped in the bucket! Must have been fed well...

krish i cant see your pics. image shack is blocked at work.

Sorry Steve... :doubt: What the heck are you doing to work on Sunday anyway!!:p You'll have to check it when you get home I guess...:)

double time yesterday and today. 12 hours each 48 hrs pay.:D

Back