On a Very Strict Budget

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Those are amazing results especially based on your minimal investment. You don't run a skimmer at all? How much initial tweaking did you have to do? What is your maintenance like? I am so new to this that I would a little apprehensive about attempting that, but at that price even if I hosed my initial system, I wouldn't be out all that much.

Last edited:
Yep yep just like reedman said about cost savings. I will put it like this..............

I after starting a 120 gallon reef tank have a small fortune. But that was after starting with a large fortune.................. LOL get my point !!!

NuBee said:
A lot of my financial constraints lie in having to justify to my spouse the merits of this endeavor. This forum has already turned out to be an excellent investment of my time.

Isnt this the case most always? :lol:

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!

Maui :D

for skimmers i'd suggest coralife super skimmers, the 125 gal version if you have to, but i think it's worth it to get the 220, they get sold used from time to time and they'll well worth it, new i think they're about $150 for th 220 at bigalsonline.com, a skimmer is a good investment, i bought a seaclone and found it too little for my tank, also a note about bakpak skimmers, they're kinda loud, my friend just bought one and i was kinda surprised by how loud it was, as for lights, if you can go vho, t-5 or mh, if you really need to buy a pc unit off of reefcentral and get new bulbs at hellolights.com, people will sell pc 4x65 watt units for less then a hundred and new bulbs are only $10 at hellolights.com right now, as for pumps, i might just go with seios and just less of them, though if you can get maxijets used i'd go for that they just use more electricity for less flow,
also if you have to convince someone, ask them to set up a frag sump so you can make money back on your investment growing corals.... might make a good arguement... but it takes some time to get good at raising corals,
just my thoughts at the moment

liveforphysics said:
If you didn't count the price of the main displays T5 lighting setup, that entire tank (tank, stand, sump, sand, rock, livestock, sump/fuge, pumps etc) doesnt even add up to $229.
where do you get your live rocks? that's kinda low... though ya, getting stuff used makes things a whole lot cheaper

You have to decide what corals you want to keep. If you want mushrooms, softies, lps, then what Luke described above has worked for him and it is proven to work.

I personally like skimmers, think they have a place right at the top of the importance ladder, and would not have a tank without one. I also think that MH is a key to having a thriving SPS tank. I will conceed that you can keep SPS alive under T5, I just don't think they thrive. Different folks...different strokes.

I would recommend visiting tanks in your area, looking at tanks on here, and other sights, and finding ones that look nice to you. Find out the things they are doing and then you have an idea of what you need to do.

There are tanks that look like garbage to me that others think are great. There are tanks that look great to me but look like garbage to others. It's just like art...in fact I consider the tank art.

Do your research on anything you are told (stuff from me too...lol) to make sure it is substantiated with real world experience...not theory.

A quick note about used equipement. I'm setting up a 29 gal for my daughter's graduation gift. Heck, she coulda asked for a car!! The only thing that's enabled me to go in the reef direction instead of just fish has been members of this forum who'd been gracious enough to sell me used equipment (remora skimmer, Aquaclear 300 HOB that I turned into a mini-refugium and 2X65W PC lighting) and a few, greatly appreciated donations of pieces of live rock, live sand and Chaeto. Look in that direction to help you out with your budget and Good Luck!! This has been a wonderful experience for my daughter and myself!!!

NuBee said:
Hey I looked at the Remora HOT and it got some real good reviews however he was real down on the Rio brand pumps and suggested a maxijet upgrade. $229 isn't that out of line.

Should you decide on this skimmer shop around a little more. We have stores in our area selling them for $170 with the maxi-jet 1200. The HOT with the mag drive pump is usually closer to $229 but the few people I know who use the mag drive model were unhappy with the bulkiness of the pump and switched back to the maxi-jet.

Last edited:
reedman said:
You have to decide what corals you want to keep. If you want mushrooms, softies, lps, then what Luke described above has worked for him and it is proven to work.

I personally like skimmers, think they have a place right at the top of the importance ladder, and would not have a tank without one. I also think that MH is a key to having a thriving SPS tank. I will conceed that you can keep SPS alive under T5, I just don't think they thrive. Different folks...different strokes.

I would recommend visiting tanks in your area, looking at tanks on here, and other sights, and finding ones that look nice to you. Find out the things they are doing and then you have an idea of what you need to do.

There are tanks that look like garbage to me that others think are great. There are tanks that look great to me but look like garbage to others. It's just like art...in fact I consider the tank art.

Do your research on anything you are told (stuff from me too...lol) to make sure it is substantiated with real world experience...not theory.

Very good advice. I like skimmers also, and I think once you see the stuff that comes out of them you will like them too. I would not want to swim on that stuff.

It is always good to find someone to learn from, kind of like a mentor. Once you find that tank you like ask lots of questions.

Thanks for the input guys. L'Luey, thanks for the Skimmer plans, that is the most straight foward set of plans I have seen yet. I am going to give serious consideration to adding that DIY skimmer to my list of DIY components. Like I said, I have more time than money. I have also seen some great DIY stand and canopy lay outs as well. I think I have my DIY sump put together in my head, and C/L system that should only cost the price of a good used pump. My bro in law has a diamond tip drill bit so I am now looking for a non tempered tank so I can get started. Everything I plan on using for my setup is based on information found on this and other sites like it.
I plan on keeping meticulous records of my expdenditures and will get some pics posted as soon as I get started.

well if you have a lot of time and patience, live rock can be made, argocrete, www.garf.org for general instructions, something that makes it cheaper is using crushed oyster shell (chicken feed) instead of some of the sand and plastic shavings (free from local plastic shops... it's their garabage, usually they pay to get rid of it)

If you buy someones tank they are getting rid of you will get a great deal and save a lot of money. just have to wait.

I agree with brad on that, you see people wanting to up-grade often, just hang around a while.

I find nano-reef tanks (softies, LPS and filter-feeders, plus one small fish) are much cheaper and easier to maintain than FOWLR with big predators - less equipment and troubles in general. Small tank requires not much of LR, same viewing pleasure, less maintenance (in terms of time, energy, expences and space).

Back