One juvi leopard wrasse chasing the other

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

small alien

I'll try to be brief. 75 gallon peaceful mixed reef. Got two juvi leopards. Same size at just under 2 inches. They lived very peacefully in my 10 gallon QT for 4 weeks. Eating great. Looked great.

Put into DT. Everything honky dory. Eating like crazy. After about 2 weeks, on started chasing the other. Pretty relentless. Not just chasing it out of a particular area but seeking it out and chasing it.

This has been going on about a week. The chasee does come out of the sand daily but hides under and around rocks. It will sneak out for a few mysis when I feed. Color is somewhat faded.

Are they sexually differentiating? Is the chasee at risk? How long will this go on? How long should I let this go on? :confused:

I am absolutely in love with these fish and they're doing so well.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated.

Thanks!

Added some rock today. Moving things around, scared up the chasee from the sand. A little chasing but then peace! There was some pretty interesting displaying going on including almost vertical head down swimming and slapping of bodies into the sand. And just swimming together. Just like the old days.

These fish were completely peaceful together and interacted and swam together continuously for 6 weeks before the chasing began. I tend to think the chasing involved two juvis vying for being the male rather than 2 males to begin with. I could be completely wrong but that is my sense.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

Back