Open brains

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have moved them out of water for just a few seconds. I agravate them so they close up first, I am sure you know that though. LOL I have no real idea what the time limit would be. I am sure they can handle a few minutes, these things are tough.
I dont think I would let Willis take it out in the yard and play with it though. LOL

Man I dont know. LOL
Off the subject I had a dream the other night that I was filleting big brain corals and frying the meat up and eating it. Guess what it tasted horrible. Strange things run thru my insane mind.

wrightme43 said:
Man I dont know. LOL
Off the subject I had a dream the other night that I was filleting big brain corals and frying the meat up and eating it. Guess what it tasted horrible. Strange things run thru my insane mind.

Did you try ketchup and mustard, if it's like liver, it doesn't make a difference. :D :D :D

My Trachyphyllia was out of water for nearly 6 hours wrapped in wet newspaper in transit from the LFS to my tank, it seemed to suffer no ill effects....it opened right up, fed well, and thrived in my tank for a few years until I accidently squished it in a reef slide...but that's another story. :|

I also recently had my branching hammer out of water off and on for 30 minutes as I "finished" fragging it...it was a huge colonly, 150+ polyps, and I accidentlly broke it into 4 pieces about 2 months ago (yet another maintenance mishap on my part)...I had to clean up the bases and cut them so I could place the new frags, it was in and out of the water for 30 minutes, no ill effects at all so far...

I think as long as the coral doesn't dry up, you have nothing to worry about...at low tide, large parts of the reef are above water for long periods, and they don't die...also, collecters do not keep the specimens submerged all the time either...I think you'll be ok Charlie, just don't let Willis gnaw at it... :lol:

MikeS

This would occur during my water changes, and they would only be out of the water for 15 minutes max! Thanx for the help guys.
At the time I do my water changes, the only thing that Willis is gnawing on is something in his dreams. I usually have my water changes done by 7AM, then it's time for another cup and feeding time for the mutts. :D :D

It's interesting to me that during low tide, these corals can be quite fine. However, if it happens to rain during low tide, they often die. They can handle massive UV, massive heat, but can't tolerate freshwater hitting them. Go figure.

hmmm...yet many of them survive freshwater dips....that's interesting, I've never heard of that....do you have an article or a link about this?

If that is case, I'd suspect it's a rapid change in temperature that affects them...very interesting...

MikeS

I've seen it stated a number of times. This is one that I found real quick.

"Low tides can be a problem for corals and can lead to mass mortality, especially if they coincide with heavy rains. Corals are used to stable ocean salinities and a sudden change to fresh water can be fatal.
However, brief exposure to the atmosphere at low spring tides does not usually present a problem for a healthy coral."

http://www.soc.soton.ac.uk/GDD/hydro/atmu/ecology/chapter7/1.html

I'll try to find other references. My post was just based off of memory. I think the emphasis should be based off of the words "heavy rains and not just rain"

brains we fragged at imac were out for 20 min or so and in and out of dip water, and did fine despite their trip through the tile saw :)

as far as the low tide issue, only some corals routinely are exposed to open air (dont know which) but those that are are pretty tolerant of swings in salinity as well

thanks for the link...

It stated heavy rains...I'd imagine the cause is still due to rapid shift in temperature, as well as possible shifts in osmotic pressures generated by long term exposure to fresh water....just a guess...

MikeS

the overwhelming majority of corals we keep can endure many minutes/hours out of water. It is best in such cases to insure stable temperature and keep them moist.

But under an equatorial sun where so many of our hobby corals we keep hail from... intertidal exposure can be extreme on all counts. These corals are very tough!

And while mass die offs may occur in some areas on rare occassions, there are extenuating circumstances for it (recent other stressors in the history of that patch/reef).

Do consider how many daily tides, on how many reefs, for how many years occur... and nary a mention of mass die-offs. Please... they are evolved for the habitat. :D

Back