Opinion: Do you like your tank long or wide?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What would you rather have?

• Size matters! 72" is awesome!

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Wider is better!

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • OMG go cube!

Votes: 8 20.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do like wider tanks for more rock/coral placement room, but I chose 72" in your poll because it gives the fish more swimming room. I like shallow tanks as well.

I to voted for the 72". When I started I was originally going with a 48" tank but was persuaded by my lfs to go with the 72" long tank as for more surface area for your fish. If you plan on having any surgeon fish this should be weighed heavy in your choice, Added bonus more coral displacement.
Just Jeff's 2 cents.

If you have the space you always get more of a WOW effect from a longer thinner tank. People can't see the depth of the tank as easily as they can see the width.

I've seen hospitals use a 6 inch think tank that was huge like a flat scree TV.
When you enter it gave the impression of a 1000 gallon tank, WOW.

Getting oxygen down with such a thin tank can be an issue. Go wider and taller for the WOW effect.

I had my tank custom built for height, I never liked how all aqauriums made people bend over to see them. So I had one made 46 inches tall. No more sore backs! And it gives the WOW effect for sure.

As a community, we all have tanks of various sizes, shapes and gallons. So what do you like most about your tank, or what would you rather have more of?

I'm getting ready to buy a tank is May and I cant decide on the dimensions. I'm either going to go more wide with a 48L 24W 24-31H or I'm going to go long with a 72L 18W 24-31H. Its going to be a peninsula tank. What do you guys think?

I am stuck between 2 wider and taller but to pick from the 2 wider would get my vote I love the depth feel my current build is a 30" depth 24 height by 72 long i love the size but the tank after this one will be a min. of 48 deep.

Everything looks better through the depth of a tank, this is where the cube or semi cube comes in as it gives you the same view from either side. I like the deeper/wider tanks for scaping and for lights 250;'s punch through 30" no problem. So maybe 36x36x24

I did not mean to say a tank with more depth does not have its merits. I took it from the perspective of the novice person walking into a room and seeing your tank. They don't know or care about how easy it is to clean because of the dimensions they only see what they see.

Example make a 1ft x 1ft tank that is 1000 front to back. To a person walking into the room they would be seeing a nano cube as the rest is hidden behind a wall.
Or take that tank and turn it sideways so people can see the 1000 foot width. Same tank just a different view. If people did not care about how the tank looks why are there so many photos of "look at my new tank" on the web?

I agree deep tanks are harder to work with, I have to use grabbers in mine. 44" The fish and people like the looks, no one that sees it knows or cares about the extra work involved but they do seem to appreciate the unusual dimensions.

Back