opinions needed....geez never thought I'd say that.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
So looking at some finshes on the trim. I haven't made it up to sumner wood worker yet to look at some stuff peppie pointed me to. Anyway here is the stand with a danish oil rub on mahogany and the trim piece is walnut with a darkened danish oil rub. Let me know what you think. Neither finish is even close to done FYI so don't judge harshly yet....wait til I say I'm finished. Oh and the top of the stand will be black granite.

SAM_0793.jpg

The granite I picked up (sample) The walnut will go up the sides and then a thin strip inset in the doors.

SAM_0794.jpg

SAM_0795.jpg

Great choice of contrasting wood. ( Almost just like mine),

How are you going to get that stand out of the house in one piece when it is time to move?? HEheheheheheh

i think u should put the trim on the outside edges man....all around....
are u gonna put something in those corners too?
I know yesterday u where talking about putting it on the door edges as well but i think like he said that it would be a lil busy! All around the edges and some corner pieces would make it simple and elegent....
is the granite gonna be flush with the trim or something else? Or will the tank be sitting on a pedistool type granite top?

Question!
Is the granite american? Danish this and danish that...i got nothing against danish but u need some american on that stand!

Great choice of contrasting wood. ( Almost just like mine),

How are you going to get that stand out of the house in one piece when it is time to move?? HEheheheheheh

Chain saw....broco torch....quickie saw...remove a wall...or bang on it til the dowel pins let loose and I can take it out in heavy sections. Your choice ;)

i think u should put the trim on the outside edges man....all around....
are u gonna put something in those corners too?
I know yesterday u where talking about putting it on the door edges as well but i think like he said that it would be a lil busy! All around the edges and some corner pieces would make it simple and elegent....
is the granite gonna be flush with the trim or something else? Or will the tank be sitting on a pedistool type granite top?

Question!
Is the granite american? Danish this and danish that...i got nothing against danish but u need some american on that stand!

The walnut is going up the corners....like a corner trim. Where it is in the first pic is pretty much where it will sit when finished (Obviously cut and placed correctly.)

The granite has a bullnose on it like pictured and goes around the tank.

The granite is being cut by an american...

The granite is being cut by an american...

LOL...thats good enough!

I didnt even notice those things in the pics! LOL u gotta tell me wat im looking for here....
im trying to picture it man and now i dont know where u should put the trim! I dont think u want the trim up on the top...taking away from the granite, do u?
Also though u want ur tank to be the main center piece!
Can u post pics of where u want or where u cant decide on the trim?!?! Inside and outside edges of the boards im guessing!

It would be easiest to cut a wall out. Or you could have me over and I could show you how to tip it over and carry it out your back slider. LOL

LOL...thats good enough!

I didnt even notice those things in the pics! LOL u gotta tell me wat im looking for here....
im trying to picture it man and now i dont know where u should put the trim! I dont think u want the trim up on the top...taking away from the granite, do u?
Also though u want ur tank to be the main center piece!
Can u post pics of where u want or where u cant decide on the trim?!?! Inside and outside edges of the boards im guessing!

The trim will come straight down both sides and then along the bottom. The sides meeting will create the corner trim. The granite bullnose will trim in the top. I just needed opinions on teh color of the trim really.

I could show you how to tip it over and carry it out your back slider
and bring it to my house! I could put ALL my tanks on it =)
75gal included!

In that case aku....id want the same color...thats just me man, i cant make up ur mind lol! If its the same color....it will tie it all together and ull still notice the trim....i didnt really look at it yesterday! The trim that is!
In the 1st pic above...is that the color ur thinking of goin wit?

LOL that would work except the stand even on its side is wider than the slider! LOL

Devin,

Yeah that dark walnut is what I was thinking.

still looks good! I like dark wood but i like the whole furniture to be dark! As i said i cant make up ur mind bro! LOL

I would say try to match the granite as much as you can with whatever stain you end up using. The contrast between the granite and the mahogany is a great look and a great idea. I do think your getting a little to friendly with the danish rub though, you had a weird kind of look on your face when you were appling it??

Word of warning though on going to Sumner Woodworking though, dont go!! It took me three days to get out of their and a couple of grand, very scary place!!

Mojo

I do think your getting a little to friendly with the danish rub though, you had a weird kind of look on your face when you were appling it??

Mojo

And squeezing all those Dane's to get the oil wasn't pretty either.

Well I attached the trim today. I have some finish work to do still, but the bulk of the stand is done. The doors will get started in a week or two and I'll be compiling a lot of information into the build thread later.

Anyway here is a snapshot.

SAM_0798.jpg

Back