opinions needed....geez never thought I'd say that.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks good Seth.
Your bullnose granite will make a good dam to pour your self leveling goo on the top.

Will you be putting something over the danish oil? I have danish oil on my stand, and it water-spots if you don't wipe up drips quickly.

And that looks way to nice to get spots on it!

To flatten the plywood top. The stand is level but teh top isn't flat. I think foam would take care of it....Peppie disagrees and enjoys making this more complicated ;) JK

dnjan-

I plan on finishing it with a wax of some kind.

I plan on finishing it with a wax of some kind.
I used the wax that Watco sells for putting over their danish oil, and that wasn't enough. And the problem with putting wax on is that you can't really put anything else over it.

By the way (with respect to flattening the top) - glass or acrylic tank?

Yea I would go with the foam also, like a styrofoam insulation. It will alow for level issues in the stand/floor and so on, if you just put a leveling compound of the stand you fix that (if it doesnt crack which I think it will) but your not going to know what else is unlevel after you put thousands of pounds are on it.

Mojo

Styrofoam insulation is fairly stiff/strong. The loading from the tank is less than 2 psi. If you use foam, I would use something a lot weaker than styrofoam insulation. You need the insulation to actually crush if you are trying to level a surface.

I used the wax that Watco sells for putting over their danish oil, and that wasn't enough. And the problem with putting wax on is that you can't really put anything else over it.

By the way (with respect to flattening the top) - glass or acrylic tank?

Watco isnt a true danish oil to much solvent makes it a lousy finish. 1/3 tung, 1/3 poly, 1/3 bees wax makes a nice finish you can mix it yourself or if you want to be lazy like me just by Maloof finish at rockler.

Don

Yea I would go with the foam also, like a styrofoam insulation. It will alow for level issues in the stand/floor and so on, if you just put a leveling compound of the stand you fix that (if it doesnt crack which I think it will) but your not going to know what else is unlevel after you put thousands of pounds are on it.

Mojo

Wouldn't that blue medium density foam at lowes that is supposed to be used under siding work?

Don

I think that is still too stiff.
You need it to start crushing someplace in the 2 psi range.
If you stand on the foam with both feet, and lift up on the balls of your feet (heels not touching), you are probably loading at about 10-15 psi. And there is little or no crushing. Too strong/stiff for this purpose.

I used two inch pink on mine and I can tell you that it did crush quite a bit, but that 6000 pounds right?? Is it 10 lbs per gallons right??

Mojo

Watco isnt a true danish oil to much solvent makes it a lousy finish. 1/3 tung, 1/3 poly, 1/3 bees wax makes a nice finish you can mix it yourself or if you want to be lazy like me just by Maloof finish at rockler.

Don

Yes but the finish is already on it....so now I need a product to seal it to prevent water spotting.....suggestions?

Yes but the finish is already on it....so now I need a product to seal it to prevent water spotting.....suggestions?

Minwax wipe on poly or pretty much any other oil based poly is compatible. Depends on the look and feel your after. Make sure you wait about a week before applying poly over watco.

Don

Last edited:
Well I have gotten this wood glass smooth so far and would like to keep that. I also enjoy the natural color that is on it so I would prefer not to change that too much. If anything I would like to maintain the natural shine that the oil gave.

Well I have gotten this wood glass smooth so far and would like to keep that. I also enjoy the natural color that is on it so I would prefer not to change that too much. If anything I would like to maintain the natural shine that the oil gave.

If you still want to feel the grain and not add that typical plastic coat i'd just order some Maloof from rockler and be done with it. Its pre mixed and ready to flood on and wipe off. 3 or four coats will be perfect and not make it look like a plastic coating.

Don

And the maloof will help prevent permanent water staining as long as it is wiped off in reasonable time???

Is it 10 lbs per gallons right??

Mojo

8 1/3lbs per gal unless you are using tap with a bunch of tadpoles and algae floating around in it:behindsofa: LOL!!

Seth, the stand is looking nice! I'm all for the padding underneath. Trying to level something sometimes is more work than its worth unless you are leveling from the exact spot the tank will sit and then as suggested, weight on the stand will shift things a bit probably as well so I'd shoot for the padding options. :)

Back