opinions on rock

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

chef

Hello, I have a 250 gallon tank I built. It has been running almost 1 year. I ordered 250 lbs of live rock from International Marine, and told them I had a BIG tank and wanted BIG rocks (BIG mistake). I have 5 big boulders in the tank which almost a year later still have no coraline algae. I later ordered some Haiti rock which has been culturing nicely (really nice shapes and size). I have been stocking the tank slowly over time, and colrals and doing pretty good, and fish doing great. But these 5 large white boulders are an eye sore. My question is if I should replace them with a different type of rock, or if mabye they are just going to take longer to culture??
Also I am thinking of adding a sand bed. I have about 1 inch crushed coral right nowshould I take this out or can I add sand on top?? Your thoughts and input is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to RF! :D
It’s basically your call on the boulders. If there’s coralline on the newer rock then it will eventually spread to the other rock... As long as your water parameters are right that is.
If it was my tank, I’d ditch the crushed coral all together and go with something like Aragamax. :)

Well, you can ship the 5 boulders to me and I will ship you 250 lbs of fully cured, coralline covered Jakarta, Tonga and Fiji rock :D or you can add some premium select pieces of corralline covered rock and make sure your iodine, magnesium and calcium levels stay up- and just keep waiting.

As far as the substrate goes, I wouldn't use crushed coral, I would use one of Caribsea's substrates. I am pretty fond of Flamingo Reef (same as special grade reef sand just has pink bits added for color). I also recommend ordering 20 lbs or so of Garf.org's garf grunge (live sand). It is a super turbo charger for corralline growth. Just be careful what you ask for, because you frequently get it! :p It won't be long before you are sick of coralline growing on the acrylic.

You can always break up the big rocks with a hammer and chisel.

You can always break up the big rocks with a hammer and chisel.
:eek:

NOOOOO! It is rather difficult to get really large pieces. Put the hammer down and step away ! :shock:

I would work out a rock swap with you if need be, just don't smash'm please.

Ha ha ha ha! Five big boulders, huh? Well, I guess they say, be careful what you wish for! :lol:

If you don't like the color, be patient and eventually they will grow coralline. If you don't like the shape, post a "liverock trade" thread and there will be plenty of people (like IAP Brian) just dying to trade with you.

I have considered breaking them up, but never thought of trading. I'll try to get ahold of a digital camara this week and take pics of these rocks and weigh them. Trading would be great!!

Back