ORA Plum Crazy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Chichas01

Ixthus
Anybody else have one? I've had mine for over a year now and it just dosen't have the 'plum' color it should. It's growing bigger just not coloring up the way I'd like. I have it placed in the top 1/3 of the tank about 113-15 inches from the lighting almost directly under one of my bulbs (2X 250W 14K Phoenix).
Calcium and Alk are stable and I dose BRS 2 part which seems to be working as I'm getting some seeing some good growth in almost all my corals...except the Red planet...that thing grows at a glacial pace but still has good color.

well Peter, now I don't feel so bad. Thanks!:lol:
How about placement for yours? Are you using 20k SE bulbs?

on a good note, that sunset monti I got from you a year ago is looking great and finally starting to grow.

I have two frags of this. One broke off a week or two after I got it from moving rocks.

The original frag I placed 20 inches deep in my tank and I run 10K 250W bulbs. Growth is good, color is great. Flow is med in this area

The second frag I place 13 inches below the water line and the color is not that great. Growth is ok but nothing I would express me. Flow is high in this area.

I have seen that the Plum Crazy responds to lower alk (7.5 to 8.5) if you get much higher even if within limits (9 to 10) the base will bleach in small spots but as the alk drops the color comes back.

great responses! I've just left it alone for a while figuring it just needed time to acclimate, but it's just not getting there. Sounds like I need to try moving it lower for a while.

One thing I have noticed about the few ORA frags I have it is best to start at bottom of tank. If they loose this color too much raise them up 3 to 6 inches every 3 to 4 weeks until you find a place they are happy.

You mean like this??

Returnofsid took these pics for me a couple months back

I have mine maybe 12" under my Metal Halide T5 fixture

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

looks great!. only the tips on mine have any real color and it's closer to blue than plum/purple

Lower huh. I have mine at the highest point in my tank and yeah, it is a light purple. I will move it down and see what it does.

My Plum

I run dual 250DE MH 14K Phoenix, and my Plum is about 12" below the light but off to the side.
It shows great polyp ext. and color, I run my Alk at around 11, Mg 1450, and Ca is around 430.
Daily feedings consist of Oyster feast and I dose Stontium/Molybdenum as well Coral vite.

Still working on photo taking skills

IMG_1365.jpg

I run dual 250DE MH 14K Phoenix, and my Plum is about 12" below the light but off to the side.
It shows great polyp ext. and color, I run my Alk at around 11, Mg 1450, and Ca is around 430.
Daily feedings consist of Oyster feast and I dose Stontium/Molybdenum as well Coral vite.

Still working on photo taking skills

IMG_1365.jpg

Very Nice!!! I love that true plum color.

Very Nice!!! I love that true plum color.

Its one of the darkest purples in my tank-very close to my purple monster and truly one of my most favorites.

I have always ran my Alk a little higher than others I discuss params with, not sure it it matters-

As in most situations, I dont think it can be narrowed down to any particular thing, I am a believer that it is everything as a whole.
IMO thats the toughest thing is trying to nail down the "why"

I know for instance I sold a frag of purple haze to fellow reefer and it just has not seemed to adjust or color the same in his tank as it is in mine. I have 2 different purple hazes one is crazy deep purple while the other is 'blah' purple, and the one that is blah inmy tank is much more purple in the tank it came from??????.

Thats whats so frustrating and challanging part this hobby, we are always searching for the "holy grail" answer:?:

Back