Oregon trip

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

I wanted to get some ideas from all of you guys. Im headed to Oregon on the 25th for a few days. Anyone recommend and LFS there? Mainly would be looking at clams and SPS. I contacted rainbow corals and he won't be available to meet me, and I have been to a certain store which I wont name (another name for coke or pop, or arm and hammer baking " ") and wasn't to impressed with the customer service. Any other ideas would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.
Brett

Waves and souta's are ones that I have heard are good. I havn't been down there tho so I can't say from personal experience. Let us know how it goes.

Soutas you better bring a real good credit card... prices are pretty Extreme.. Upscales is by far the Best... Best days to hit upscales is Friday/Saturday... Although I hear mon-tue-Wed this week they have orders coming in...and Probably Friday as well...

James

Soutas was who I was hinting at in the start of the thread. I felt like I was treated like he figured I was too poor to have a reef tank, and rude I might add. I figured I'd check out other places where I don't have to wear a Gucci suit to get some help and respect.

Well Im back and it was worth it! I got a huge colony of red monitpora digitata, huge green slimmer with purple tips. Blue stag, blue millie, red millie, some yellow danea (im dont think I spelled it right) and a new skimmer. Everything is adjusting right now, I'll post pics in a while.
Brett

Living in Olympia, I routinely hit all the Portland LFS about every 2-3 weeks. Sorry I didn't catch this thread earlier.

Waves either moved or went out of business, and is no longer on Lower Boones Ferry. Too bad. However, Hollywood Aquarium just relocated to right around the corner from the old Waves location, nice big place and nice people (Shaun from Waves works there now). Unusual macroalgae from Jakarta, and a great stock of tanks and oak too. Take Durham exit 291 and go left just a mile, then cut right into business park area and wrap around to the left less than a mile. Be sure to check out the Wild Oats Market grocery store at that right turn, very unusual and they have lots of free samples on Saturday. One day they even had a beautiful model serving wine samples in glass wine glasses (she wore a fuzzy pink bunny suit complete with ears to make it clear they are not wine snobs.....)

Upscales is very good, but don't seem to know what they are doing if you really quiz them. One guy knows his stuff though. They get very unusual showy orange Gorgonia's, plus their display tank has the largest clam I have ever seen. Dry goods are way overpriced but again, interesting stuff. Take the Tualatin exit one down from the Durham exit, go to the right, BUT STAY IN THE RIGHT LANE or else you are in a world of hurt with no turn around. Of course, continue down I-5 just a couple more miles to Fry's Electronics in Wilsonville for the largest DVD selection I have ever seen, plus tax free shopping. :)

Soutas is a good place if you deal with the owner Rick, a nice guy. His hired help seems a bit lazy, not even wanting to lift up and show me the live rock when I recently bought $465 worth a while back. Great rock and prices on it though. I don't trust the help's price quotes on corals either, I think he tries to pocket some extra on the weekends. Don't forget Woody at Seahorse Supply right off of MLK Way on Russet St, small but interesting shop with many years of experience and sincere advice.

I always make an expedition of it all, with other stops at the Laurelwood Brewhouse in Hollywood, the Raccoon Lodge brewpub on Hwy 10, and the Alameda Brewhouse north of Hollywood, all fine places. Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge at I-5 milepost 16 or so in WA is worth a short side trip with an 8-10 mile nice gravel drive through wetlands and stunning bird watching. Go left to the River S unit, gates close at dark though.

Last edited:
Waves has moved... www.wavesm.com

Upscales added a new cube tank to house the Clam as the old one was moved... 48x48x30... Looks pretty sweet...

Woodys shop has moved as well.. www.seahorse-nw.com

hollywood Aquarium and Shaun??? Shaun is the owner of waves and still Owns waves.. Doubt he would be working at a competing business lol...

Upscales Rocks... Soutas needs Help... Physical and Mental..

James

Thanks for the update, I guess I haven't been down there for a few weeks. A guy named Shaun that used to work at Waves now works at Hollywood, at least I have seen him there twice. Probably a mistaken identity or wrong Sean.....Whoever he is he sold me my first seahorses a few years ago!

Actually, the guy at Hollywood aquarium is my friend Phil. He worked at Waves, which is owned by Shaun. They moved, as the previous posts point out...

Phil just took a job at the Pacific Coast Aquarium down in Long Beach, Cali as some sort of aquarist1 position. He was nice enough to donate some equipment to get me back into the hobby again. He gave me a 45 gallon tank, my old sump back, and I've got it all setup and cycling in my basement. Since he's leaving to Cali in another week, he is also tearing down his tank and giving me the job of ridding it of green hair algae. No prob, just needs some TLC... Anyway, he was a valuable asset to hollywood aquarium. I'm not sure they'll do much for anyone in the way of reef stuff anymore, but they do keep pretty nice fish.

Back