Osama's Reef - Today's System = DT 500 G Plus 3X65G

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looks like you finally got it dialed in!

Yes; I am still tinkering with various flow parameters... As skimmer pump had been dialed down. Not a simple skimmer to tackle!! but i kind of have the hang of it.... does need adjusting after it skimms a couple of days I keep having to close the discharge valve a couple of notches to get the skimmate out of the cup.... etc... Managing and gaining expertise.. Thanks

Wow, that is a nice skimmer. Do you have more info on it? What kind of pump it uses? I see you have the skimmate draining to an open bucket. I am always cautious about overflowing the skimmer collection cup, or draining the water unexpectedly. Is there any auto-shutoff mechanism to stop the air flow when it is full?

Wow, that is a nice skimmer. Do you have more info on it? What kind of pump it uses? I see you have the skimmate draining to an open bucket. I am always cautious about overflowing the skimmer collection cup, or draining the water unexpectedly. Is there any auto-shutoff mechanism to stop the air flow when it is full?

IMO: skimmer is too big for a hobbyist. It is for much larger systems. I think my system designer/Installer knows or is a friend with the manufacturer/Owner. I am just getting the hang of handling the skimmer which requires daily tuning to keep skimming on my size system
Discharge is not anymore into bucket but directly thru a drain connected to hse bsmnt sump.
One of my four main pumps is dedicated for the skimmer a DC-10500 (10500 LPH) pump
Skimmer has its own air and second pump for churning the air .
Company manufacturer is in Wisconsin: aquariumeng.com Aquarium Engineering

What about running skimmer only like 6 hours +- at night to help it skim to your bio load? BUT I like to tinker with my system each day bet you do too:)

+1 I say crank it back up and run it every other week or so. Idk. I think Scott fellman said he didn't skim 24/7...
D

+1 I say crank it back up and run it every other week or so. Idk. I think Scott fellman said he didn't skim 24/7...
D

Are we not risking getting algae and other issues or ? Why do U think OK to not skim all the time... I like the thought but not sure of the outcome??/

What about running skimmer only like 6 hours +- at night to help it skim to your bio load? BUT I like to tinker with my system each day bet you do too:)

Afraid of not skimming 24/7... Anyone has such an experience with a large tank.. Chime in please

Bigger tank means bigger problem. I hear ya. No one wants to fight algae in a 300g dt! I just said that cuz figured it would be a pita to turn it on and off every other day... I for one would forget to turn the thing back on.

I do skim 24/7... One of my skimmers is a life reef with a dc pump too... R u using the protein skimmer or return pump with a Venturi? My other skimmer is an oversized...the skimate is clear and not sludgy. If that makes sense and I don't see anything wrong with it for wat it's worth. As long as ur not losing salt level.

Hopefully someone with big tank exp. and more exp. can chime in.
D

My skimate is never light/liquid, like in my previous skimmers. When I get it skimming it is mostly thick sludge. I like skimate when it is liquid/wet with dark green. It goes from sludge to over-spilling of water as and when it chooses. So now I keep turned further down meaning more sludge and less concurrences of spilling water

I tried placing my life reef skimmer in my sump but had water problems. The water level would go up and down... I had to place it externally next to my stand on a sw bucket to keep it above my sump. It's controlled by a gate valve.
Maybe ur beast needs a height boost? Hths
D

Last edited:
Since every system is different my post are for food for thought only:) Many tanks run without skimmers choosing other filtration means such as ATS algae turf scrubber, paper filters, ect. Myself I like to use combo's when it comes to filtering but SKIMMING is one I will always use. The reason I suggested 6+ hours at night is because of lower oxygen levels so it would help with that. Using 6+ is just a starting place, to help dial skimmer for maximum performance based against your total water volume vs true skimmer capability's per currant and future bio loads.......aka how you think it works best for you/your system:) Skimming with some ATS is one of my FAV ways to filter systems FWIW.
Your past tanks show much skills above is about tweaking system/playing:)

Thanks Spinner... Always relied on a good skimmer and this one I will end up getting it do the work or regretfully replace. My system took a lot of effort and money to get it where it is at now... Still work in progress as Matt Jensen just got busy with other big projects... I never did an ATS although I think it would be fun to try it... Thanks a million and appreciate your thoughts very much

Back