Osmolator optical mount?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Algae

I have an Osmolator with magnetic mounts. I can mount the float on the magnet but have a question about the optical eye mounting. The optical sensor terminates with a key like plastic cylinder shape that fits into a corresponding plastic split semi-ring mount. The Tunze instructions give no info on how to place it into the ring. I am concerned that plastic appears to be somewhat brittle and that it may not be meant to snap in place and could be a manufacturing mistake. I think it just snaps into place after spreading with a screwdriver and am looking for confirmation that this is the procedure?

The key like cylinder should line up and slide in from the bottom, then there's a gap at the bottom of the cylinder key so you can rotate the sensor to hold it in place.

Thanks!
Mine is too tight to slide-in. So I guess I should use the screwdriver on the slot to temporarily open the gap enough slide the optical end into the magnet mount ring from the bottom?

hmm...maybe you'd be better off taking a small file or some course sandpaper to widen the opening. I can see a screwdriver providing too much torque and breaking the piece. Are you in a position to return/exchange the magnet?

ALSO...I made a mistake (I knew I should have looked!)...the optical sensor installs from the top down. Sorry for the confusion.

Got it. Thanks!! The plastic was flexible. I did have to cut back the male key portion a bit with a razor knife to lock it in portion.

Yeah, mine is pretty snug too. Good news is that once you get it in place it's not going to slip out. Post up a pic of your magnetic mount. I've still got the plastic rails but have want to get the mag mounts. Show us what it looks like.

Thanks,
Mike

Back