OUCH.....Bristleworms!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Faciosity

reefer
I was picking up a large ball of chaeto yesterday, and it musta been full of bristleworms, or at least one big one. I thought I felt something poke me, so I pulled my hand out to find 2 of my fingers totally covered with dozens of bristleworm spines. I quickly poured a bunch of vinegar over it to nuetralize any bad toxins and poisons (seems to work with jellyfish and anemone stings, so why not?), and continued to scrub my hands for several minutes. I think it helped that my hands had been in the tank for about an hour, and my skin was really soft and starting to prune up (or that might have been the reason why so many of them stuck in me!), so most of the spears came out easily. I can still feel them a little bit today in one area that is just a little irritated, but mostly all went away immediately. I plan on soaking my fingers for an hour or so to make sure the rest of them are all out, but don't have time at the moment, and no serious reactions have occured, so I will just use a little hydrocortisone cream for the discomfort.

This is the first I've heard of bristle worms. Is this something you deliberately put into your tank or did it tag along with something else? In googling them I read that they are a pain for reef keepers. Just trying to learn a bit if you don't mind.

They are common hitchhikers, and are actually a great part of your cleanup crew. They don't typically harm anything unless you accidentally grab one!:shock:

Before I knew what they were capable of, I used to pick them up with bare hands and never got even the slightest poke. I have been cooking for over 11 years though, and have pretty rough hands. This time my hands were softened from messing with my tank all day, and he got me in a sensitive spot right between my fingers. I've heard of people having some pretty serious reactions from them though, so they are nothing to take lightly. If you ever find one in your tank, don't worry, just avoid it. If they are in your tank, their spines can also be found in/on the live rock, and you can get poked just by touching the rock. If you have sensative hands or bad alergic reactions, you should just avoid putting bare hands in the tank. I'm kinda stubborn about that, and I've paid the price with plenty of anemone/coral/bristleworm stings.

Last edited:
I was picking up a large ball of chaeto yesterday, and it musta been full of bristleworms, or at least one big one. I thought I felt something poke me, so I pulled my hand out to find 2 of my fingers totally covered with dozens of bristleworm spines. I quickly poured a bunch of vinegar over it to nuetralize any bad toxins and poisons (seems to work with jellyfish and anemone stings, so why not?), and continued to scrub my hands for several minutes. I think it helped that my hands had been in the tank for about an hour, and my skin was really soft and starting to prune up (or that might have been the reason why so many of them stuck in me!), so most of the spears came out easily. I can still feel them a little bit today in one area that is just a little irritated, but mostly all went away immediately. I plan on soaking my fingers for an hour or so to make sure the rest of them are all out, but don't have time at the moment, and no serious reactions have occured, so I will just use a little hydrocortisone cream for the discomfort.

Sounds like you immediately did the right thing!! I'd also recommend the HOTTEST water you can stand. Instead of scrubbing your hands, which has a tendency to push the bristles deeper into the skin, use duct tape, to try and extract as many as possible.

This is the first I've heard of bristle worms. Is this something you deliberately put into your tank or did it tag along with something else? In googling them I read that they are a pain for reef keepers. Just trying to learn a bit if you don't mind.

Bristle worms are very beneficial for our reef tanks, as probably one of the best members of a clean up crew. They are typically hitchhikers, in live rock, Chaeto and such.
However, while being very beneficial for our reef tanks, they're very PAINFUL for us reef keepers!! Don't touch them.

I've also been stung by one I found in my tank, had no vinegar went the old fashion urine route.. Scrubbing also.. Hurts like a mother :(

I've also been stung by one I found in my tank, had no vinegar went the old fashion urine route.. Scrubbing also.. Hurts like a mother :(

If you don't have vinegar on hand, use the "tried and true" method that scuba divers and snorklers have used for years....

Urine works the same....lol.

Now you know the true reason that scuba divers utilize the "buddy system." It's kinda difficult to urinate on yourself, if you get stung, by a jelly fish, say....on your shoulder, or back of your leg....... :eek:

I did use the hottest water that would come out of my faucet (being a cook, I couldn't hardly tell) and lots of antibacterial soap. When I poured vinegar over them you could see them all falling out, and I started by lightly rubbing them outward with a paper towel to collect the majority of them left, and then proceded to scrubbing. Worked quite well actually, I just have minimal irritation today with itching and minor swelling. No reddness or sharp pains, so I think I should be fine!:)

Just thought I should share this story so others would learn at my expense!:lol:

Sounds like you immediately did the right thing!! I'd also recommend the HOTTEST water you can stand. Instead of scrubbing your hands, which has a tendency to push the bristles deeper into the skin, use duct tape, to try and extract as many as possible.

Bristle worms are very beneficial for our reef tanks, as probably one of the best members of a clean up crew. They are typically hitchhikers, in live rock, Chaeto and such.
However, while being very beneficial for our reef tanks, they're very PAINFUL for us reef keepers!! Don't touch them.

Bummer...Sorry to hear! I've heard bristle worms can give a pretty bad sting. Worse I've had was I jumped into the ocean off of the boat one day and landed in the center of a school of baby man-o-wars (type of jellyfish). I ended up getting muscle spams really bad to where both legs and arms cramped up and started throwing up my guts. Ended up having to get an injection :doubt:

Bummer...Sorry to hear! I've heard bristle worms can give a pretty bad sting. Worse I've had was I jumped into the ocean off of the boat one day and landed in the center of a school of baby man-o-wars (type of jellyfish). I ended up getting muscle spams really bad to where both legs and arms cramped up and started throwing up my guts. Ended up having to get an injection :doubt:

That couldn't have been good!:eek: I think I would rather have a bristlework stick myfinger!:rolleyes:

When I lived on whidbey island as a kid, I used to see schools of little box jellyfish cruise by. One time I was on a floating dock about 20 feet out, and was stranded there for a while waiting for them to leave.

I pee on my hands everytime those things sting me. Just kidding but to tell you my story. I was changing out my filter sock and on the back side was about 20 of these little @$%^. I stuck my hand in there and squeezed to pull the sock off. And then it happened. My hand swelled and it itched for about an hour.

Luckily I've yet to be stung by anything in my tank.

My dad lives in Hawaii. We were throwin the football on the beach one day when suddenly my foot starts burning. I look down. Yep, nice size Portuguese Man-o-war, all wrapped up on my foot. Didn't feel good at all. Not to mention you get stung a bunch more times trying to get it off.

sucks

Luckily I've yet to be stung by anything in my tank.

My dad lives in Hawaii. We were throwin the football on the beach one day when suddenly my foot starts burning. I look down. Yep, nice size Portuguese Man-o-war, all wrapped up on my foot. Didn't feel good at all. Not to mention you get stung a bunch more times trying to get it off.

sucks

Ouch! Pry it off with a stick, chug some water, and let it loose! (not refering to the jellyfish!) :lol:

Last edited:
Back