OUCH.....Bristleworms!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Don't pet the bristle worms :eek:
Before I do anything I get some tweezers and pull out as many as possible. You want to be sure you don't press down on them.

Cheers,
Kevin

finger.JPG

Don't pet the bristle worms :eek:
Before I do anything I get some tweezers and pull out as many as possible. You want to be sure you don't press down on them.

Cheers,
Kevin

finger.JPG

How bad was it Kevin?? Pain last long or any side affects?? Going on my track record, I think this is next on the list for me :doubt: As mentioned eariler on the thread, I've accidentally jumped into the middle of a school of baby man-o-wars (even had one tangled in my watch that lit me up like a christmas tree! :eek:). That one ended with me being un-able to swim to the surface when muscle spams prevented me from using arms and legs (had to float) and then continuous vomiting. That ended in an injection at the doctors office (had a thread on here about it). Then there was the time when I brushed up against fire coral and that did a number on me as well. Arm was swollen, vomiting etc. I have a picture of that one home I will have to upload here later. Then one summer, I guess I thought the sea lice people complained about was nothing to worry about :rolleyes: So I figure, next on the list will be a bristle worm :oops:

Note to self, don't dive with Krish!!
:)
I did have a jelly brush my mouth while on the surface, more numb than pain, but pretty uncomfortable just the same.
I have enough of those in my refuge that I will start wearing gloves to pull out the excess greens. I have not been stung, but I was not too worried about it... until now!
Thanks for the heads up!

-Todd

Note to self, don't dive with Krish!!
:)
I did have a jelly brush my mouth while on the surface, more numb than pain, but pretty uncomfortable just the same.
I have enough of those in my refuge that I will start wearing gloves to pull out the excess greens. I have not been stung, but I was not too worried about it... until now!
Thanks for the heads up!

-Todd

Haha!! Well the good thing is it only seems to happen to me so should make for a good time for you :p

How bad was it Kevin?? Pain last long or any side affects??
It's pretty common occurrence when flushing out shrimp goby pairs, dartfish, etc. For a few days it feels like you were using hand tools and almost got a blister but not quite. Just red and sensitive. There are some big ones that feel like cactus and will actually bleed. I don't see too well so I have my son dig those ones out as the spines are clear. The big ones are quite rare though and usually come in on large pieces of live rock (20+KG). They have died in transport and the spines fall off in the rock. Once the rock is placed in the curing bin or tank the high flow distributes the spines everywhere including the skimmer. Gloves are need for about the next 6-8 weeks when cleaning the skimmer or handling rock. The sponge or cleaning device also needs to be discarded.

Regards,
Kevin
PS: I have tried the tape method for removal. It removes some if they are already broken about flush to the skin surface.

It's pretty common occurrence when flushing out shrimp goby pairs, dartfish, etc. For a few days it feels like you were using hand tools and almost got a blister but not quite. Just red and sensitive. There are some big ones that feel like cactus and will actually bleed. I don't see too well so I have my son dig those ones out as the spines are clear. The big ones are quite rare though and usually come in on large pieces of live rock (20+KG). They have died in transport and the spines fall off in the rock. Once the rock is placed in the curing bin or tank the high flow distributes the spines everywhere including the skimmer. Gloves are need for about the next 6-8 weeks when cleaning the skimmer or handling rock. The sponge or cleaning device also needs to be discarded.

Regards,
Kevin
PS: I have tried the tape method for removal. It removes some if they are already broken about flush to the skin surface.

Thanks for the info! :)

I may kid about petting fireworms but believe me, I stay as far away from them as possible!

As for true stories, well.... I once knew a guy (name is withheld to protect the stupid) who liked to collect stuff for his aquarium. Not too bright. Found a fireworm, didn't know what it was but thought it was cool looking, all his collecting jars were full, so he put it into the front pocket of his swim shorts. That cost him 1 trip to the hospital and 2 weeks of not being able to wear anything below the waist.

Reactions to the spines vary. I have soft skin & react quickly to irritants so my hands blow up like red balloons oozing pus. One of my collecting buddies has super thick skin which nothing penetrates so he doesn't have any problems with fireworms, fire corals, fire sponges, etc.

Live rocks - especially on the undersides - tend to have small cryptic sponges armed with sharp defensive spicules. Often it's these that spike people rather than loose fireworm spines.

Krish - you might want to ask your doctor for a epi-pen (or two) to carry around when you go swimming. We always take them into the field in case of allergic reactions.

Ouch! We saw a BF bristleworm in our tank just the other night. Norm thought he was zapped by one but now wondering if it might have been something else as he didn't have any type of reaction.

Back