Our 1st Reef Tank build ever - 70 gal AGA tall

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

E

eww

This adventure started 3-4 weeks ago with buying a tank stand from a guy on CL for our fresh water upgrade we were planning on doing and it turned out he is an avid reefer and introduced us to this very addictive world. Thanks Todd :D. Since then we have returned all the upgraded fresh water stuff we had already purchased and have started collecting the bit and pieces of equipment we will need for not only our first SW tank but our first reef tank ever. We have a limited amount of space in our home so we are restricted to a 36" wide unit so we went tall to hopefully make it more dramatic in the small foot print. A bigger tank will come when a new home comes.

The tank: 70 gal AGA 36"w x 15"d x 30"t We realize this will offer up some additional challenges but with all the friendly advice we have already been given and all the reading I think we will be ok.

Sump: 30 gal long AGA with a skimmer section/fuge center section and return section

Lighting: for now... 2 ea 53w T5HO with a standard ballast and 4 ea 110w VHO with an icecap 660. I hope I can fit it all under the hood :). I will be upgrading to having 6 total T5HO's in all with reflectors and LED white and blues for daybreak/sunset and moon lighting. This will happen as the budget allows.

Skimmer: Euro-Reef with a Sedra 3500 pump mesh modded by Mark. This will also be an upgrade area once we can get a SWC160.

Return Pump: Right now it's a Rio 2500 but this will also be something we will upgrade very soon.

Powerheads: So for we only have one K2 but I am supposed to be getting 2 K3's and 2 K4's if they ever free up.

I have had the tank drilled for a dual overflow and a single return at work (I fortunately work for a glass shop). I am planning on using a Herbie style drain with 3/4" sched 80 pipe. All the plumbing will be sched 8- as the wife doesn't want to see white pipes everywhere since this is sitting right in our dining room. I am currently building my all glass overflow. It's not quite a coast to coast as we do not want to see into the overflow from the sides. The plumbing parts are purchased and I'm almost ready to piece it together.

I finally finished (for the second time) the stand today. It has been a long learning lesson in wood finishing. Thanks to all those who have helped on here and on the phone for the last few week. Yes, that's right, it took me 3 1/2 weeks to strip and refinish the stand alone. But it's finally the tone we want it.

This is primarily going to be a softy tank with zoos, mushrooms and several other things we have seen and like so far. There will also be an assortment of critters for a clean up crew and swimmers of course. We know going slow is the key to this being a success and we plan on being thorough on that. Let thing cycle and add things slowly as well as only get LR and sand/coral from known sources of good, clean systems.

That's about all for now... so on with the show and we appreciate all your comments and advice in advance.

Eric & Becca

I had to modify these rails to fit the tank. Router work... uhgh!!!
DSC_0054_6771.jpg

The first attempt at a finish (way to golden for us)
DSC_0053_6770.jpg

Mismatch color from stand to hood (golden again)
DSC_0060_6777.jpg

The sump with the skimmer
DSC_0297_7014.jpg

We couldn't take it anymore. We had to set it in it's future home to see what it is going to look like. Wow it's big in this little space. and the finish it finally what we want...
DSC_0278_6995.jpg

A side shot just for the heck of it
DSC_0280_6997.jpg

Close up... ohhhhh pretty wood!!!
DSC_0285_7002.jpg

The stand in the right color
DSC_0290_7007.jpg

A back shot just for the heck of it again
DSC_0294_7011.jpg

Starting the overflow
DSC_0296_7013.jpg

Wow looks like you have done your homework!

That tank is super tall but pretty cool dimensions and definitely not very common.

The work you have done so far is great and i can't wait to see how this turns out!

Looks great i like the stand and hood sweet color. I would find a standard tank a little shorter to fit them though. Just imo

I'm not normally a big fan of really tall tanks but I can see a rock wall climbing up the back of that one. Build a few live rock pillars and arches in front of it and you've got a blingin' tank.

BTW...we've all been at the beginning in this hobby so you might as well learn a valuable lesson right at the start. There is no sense fighting addiction. Give in and open your checkbook to this new hobby. Besides, I don't know about you but I don't do well in group sessions.

I'm not normally a big fan of really tall tanks but I can see a rock wall climbing up the back of that one. Build a few live rock pillars and arches in front of it and you've got a blingin' tank.

BTW...we've all been at the beginning in this hobby so you might as well learn a valuable lesson right at the start. There is no sense fighting addiction. Give in and open your checkbook to this new hobby. Besides, I don't know about you but I don't do well in group sessions.

Thanks Mike. We were thinking the same thing about pillars and bridges. Haven't seen one like it yet but my mind sees it looking pretty good.

I know exactly what you mean unfortunately the checkbook doesn't support the finer things in life right now but hey... it gives us something to work toward.

BTW... your build is looking pretty damn good. Thats some nice carpentry on your stand. I can't wait to see it finished.

Thanks Rob. Yeah I should probably start looking for some of that. We are getting close to getting things wet. I will be working on gluing in the overflow today and starting the plumbing as soon as the overflow is stable enough to stand the tank back up. Pics to follow shortly.

Hey Eric, SO SORRY TO GET YOU TWO HOOKED ON REEFKEPPING and turned on to Reef Frontiers...NOT Stand & canopy look awsome, GREAT job all the way around. Like many others am now looking forward to seeing the final** outcome when up & running. I'll have some coral frags as well as macro algae for you when ready and you feel like taking another drive up north. Feel free to give a call anytime.

Todd

** = no such thing as final in this hobby

Thanks Todd. We will make the trip North as soon as we are ready. We know this this will never be a finished project but we are definitely looking forward to enjoying it once it is up and running. We really can't wait.

Here are some more pics of the progress. I think we might be able to get some water in it as soon as tonight to test for leaks and flow. Hopefully the black background we ordered online comes soon so we can't see straight through the tank anymore. Here are some more pics...

Building the overflow
DSC_0296_7013.jpg

DSC_0350_7067.jpg

DSC_0353_7070.jpg

Attaching it in the tank

DSC_0390_7107.jpg

DSC_0389_7106.jpg

Some shots of the plumbing... ignore the disasters in the background :)

DSC_0394_7111.jpg

DSC_0397.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

DSC_0400.jpg

Another shot of the sump in the cabinet and plumbed. I'm sure there will need to be some mods done but I hope this is good for now.

DSC_0398.jpg

WOW looks awsome Eric and nice work on plumbing. What disasters in background... I can't wait until my garage/workshop is that clean again !

Todd

KERSLPASH!!!!!!!

I got it wet tonight. She is full up and not a drop of a leak anywhere. I do have some questions though. How do you find the balance between the drain rate and the return rate. I have to throttle back the drain for the noisy slurping to go away but once it does it is dead silent. Then I have been playing with the T valve int eh return line which diverts some of the return pressure back to the fuge. Anyway between that valve and adjusting the drain valve I have it what seems to be perfectly balanced right now. It just seems that with the slightest variation like any build up in a pipe anywhere there will either be a flood out of the DT or a really nasty slurping sound in the drain. I though a herbie style drain eliminated the noise altogether. I am open to any and all feedback but just know I would really rather not totally redo the plumbing but ultimately I will do what I have to to make it right.

Here are some pics for those who like to see. It's just tap water and in the garage for the just in case factor

DSC_0410_7127.jpg

DSC_0404_7121.jpg

DSC_0405_7122.jpg

DSC_0406_7123.jpg

DSC_0409_7126.jpg

Sorry. Also if thats the case then all the water your return is capable of pushing should go to the display and not the fuge. I would just use the fuge line for water changes. Looks nice and clean btw

Back