over flow box ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

daytonaconnecti

the cpr over flow boxex, as well as others, have an up so many gal, rating. is their any advantage or disadvantage to using one thats rated for a bigger tank, like if you have a 60 gal tank, and you use one that is rated up to 120 gal...

Larger overflow boxes will handle more flow/hour. It will depend on your return pump or any possible future upgrades. For instance, on my 75, I used to run a U-tube style overflow box that was rated at 1200 gph. My return pump was putting out about 900 gph. Because of this, I would regularly get air bubbles in the U-tubes and have to re-prime them. With U-tube overflow boxes, I'd recommend not using one rated for much more than your return pump, for this reason.

With CPR overflow boxes, it doesn't matter. I'm currently running a CPR overflow box rated at 2200 gph. I'm still using the return pump that's putting out about 900 gph. I've had no problems at all. However, this CPR overflow box would allow me to upgrade to a much larger return pump, a much larger tank, or whatever.

Personally i'd never run a cpr as there are to many horror stories about them flooding the carpet. If your luft pump ever goes out you will have an overflow. In a utube the syphon won't break after a power outage and as long as you check the utube's on a regular basis for air bubbles you'll be fine.

with the sump iam using their is one 1'' bulkhead fitting in it, already for the overflow, my overflow has two lines going down, do i make another place for the other line next two the one bulkhead or just plumb into the tank the easiest way?

Personally i'd never run a cpr as there are to many horror stories about them flooding the carpet. If your luft pump ever goes out you will have an overflow. In a utube the syphon won't break after a power outage and as long as you check the utube's on a regular basis for air bubbles you'll be fine.

Thats actually incorrect the people that have those stories didnt set it up correctly or test what they may have thought would work, i run a CPR with luft pump and have it dialed in that in the event of power failure, return pump failure, or luft pump failure nothing floods it took some tweeking of highths or box and return outlets to configure it but it is fail proof. All you have to do if un-plug and plug back in your return pump once a month or so to keep the butterfly valve moving.

So a c style overflow you have to make sure your return pump, c syphon and luft pump are all working perfect. If you do this they won't fail. In a u tube overflow you have to make sure the return pump is on......

Tweeking means its not fail proof.

DO NOT USE a hang on overflow box. At some point you will have to deal with a flood. It is SO easy to build one into a tank, SUPER easy AND far less $$$. I promise you won't regret it. A little effort is worth the peace of mine.

They can all fail But I would use one that could get clogged a little and still have enoughp water flow for your return pump to work well and not overflow the top tank so Bigger is better/Safer. Two of them is even better :)

Having a small luft or an even stronger pump like a maxijet in the sump to pull out any air leaks worked quit well for me as it was strong enoughp to deal with any leak nice and fast.

Now I had room for one !! I have seen soo many sumps to small with no room for anything !

CPR's have more places glued so more places can leak over time also they will look ugly as they cannot be cleaned well and I suspect that is how many get leaks is from someone trying to shove sompthing in side it to try to clean it out better

Last edited:
how would a over flow box differ from a drilled tank if you do not take the proper precautions you will still have over flow the sump. what is easier yes a drilled tank but but neither is safer then the other. buying a over flow kit from glass holes is the cheapest way if you know the tank is not tempered. best way is to get a test and make sure easy to do.

fill sump with minimal water use a sharpie to mark it off start over flow then hit the power switch to simulate a power outage.

then mark the sump again add water to a line that will not go to the top of the sump as that's were alot of folks make the mistake. fill the sump up and if the over flow stops then you can flood the display & also if the pump fails then the sump can over flow. It will take a little time but easy start low and work your way up. with the sump level the bigger the sump the more water to hold but have to make sure not too much. both over flows have there own issues and both can cause issues..... one can adjust the CRP style the other you place it you will have to Re-set it to hold in another spot.

Back