Overflow and plumbing for a 210

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

duyvngo

So i'm eyeing on an 210 but it's not reef ready which means i'll have to drill and make overflow. How hard is it to get the job done? Do they sell any overflow like the one that comes with the 210 reef ready? I mean the 2 corners overflow that goes from bottom to top of the tank. Please give me some advice. Thanksssss

Get a plumbing kit from Gla$$Holes.com! You wont be sorry :) I just got mine and what a relief! Includes everything you'll need, proper sizes, instructions and even a treat-lol. I've NEVER had a sump nor drilled a tank but these guys make it exciting and easy to do :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s via Tapatalk.

Any acrylic fabricator worth their salt should be able to get a pair of overflow boxes done for you. I'd say figure out what your plumbing needs are, get the holes drilled, then mock up your plumbing fittings, then see what spec's you'll need. It is far easier to us 5 sided OFB's than it is to try to adhere an acrylic OFB to a glass tank. If your interested, shoot me a PM. I can fab these up, and ship them anywhere. J

Now what flow rate that you guys suggest on a 210gal? I talked to a few friends and i got different answers.

Now what flow rate that you guys suggest on a 210gal? I talked to a few friends and i got different answers.

It really depends on what you want to keep. Fish only, light reef, or SPS reef? They will all have a different turn over rate. Without knowing, I'd say shoot for 1000 gph, and you can always change a pump, and go up or down. Just make sure you size your plumbing to handle more than you think you will ever need, and you'll be good to go. I run about 650 gph on a 75 gallon, and it is a light reef, just for comparison. J

So the tank choice is now 240gal with dual overflow. I'm working on the plumbing right now and wondering where you guys get your supplies at (valves...) i've tried some that lowes,homedepot and mclendon sell but they are hard to turn. Which brand is better? Where to get them locally? Thanks.

Where are you located? United States is not very specific. As a tank manufacturer, I have just about everything. ABS bulkheads, gate valves, sch 80 bulkheads and unions, true union ball valves, every schedule 40 fitting, PVC pipe, and Spaflex from 1/2" to 2". J

So the tank choice is now 240gal with dual overflow. I'm working on the plumbing right now and wondering where you guys get your supplies at (valves...) i've tried some that lowes,homedepot and mclendon sell but they are hard to turn. Which brand is better? Where to get them locally? Thanks.

So you are going to give up on the idea of the 210 and go with the 240?

Finding easy turning ball valves seems to be pretty common. Every store I go into like Lowes or Home Depot seems to have the same had turn ball valves. I even went with Grainger.com because I like to use a brand of union they sell. I like the Lasco unions. Much small in size.
Even Grainger sent me a couple ball valves that were pretty stiff.

There has to be some sort of food grade lube that will help.
I'm still looking.

The tank is home :) and it is hugeee lol.i didn't give up on 210 but i got a better deal on a new 240 so why not?
Thanks for your suggestion. I probably have to order those online. I went to lowes, hd, mclendon and those that they carry i couldn't even turn the valve.

The tank is home :) and it is hugeee lol.i didn't give up on 210 but i got a better deal on a new 240 so why not?
Thanks for your suggestion. I probably have to order those online. I went to lowes, hd, mclendon and those that they carry i couldn't even turn the valve.

Absolutely, go big. :)

Lol yea and when i saw the tank i was like holy molly it's huge. Tank was moved by 8 people. Bloody heavy...

I'm working on the plumbing right now and wondering where you guys get your supplies at (valves...) i've tried some that lowes,homedepot and mclendon sell but they are hard to turn. Which brand is better? Where to get them locally? Thanks.

I just bought some food grade silicone spray at grainger.com.
I'm going to give it a try.
My new build is going to have 7-1" ball valves.

Where are you located? United States is not very specific. As a tank manufacturer, I have just about everything. ABS bulkheads, gate valves, sch 80 bulkheads and unions, true union ball valves, every schedule 40 fitting, PVC pipe, and Spaflex from 1/2" to 2". J

I sent you a pm.

Back