overflow box question.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pip Tazo

Can someone share their experience with CPR overflow boxes and how they prepared for the chance that their aqualifter died and the siphoning stopped?

I am trying to incorporate a safety mechanism that would prevent or stop a flood if the siphon on the overflow box stopped for some reason and the return pump is still running.

Last edited:
My current plan is to have dual float switches that would tell the aquacontroller to shut off the return pump if triggered by higher than normal water levels in the display. But I would like a back-up to this back-up plan. You can never be too careful. All ideas welcome!

You can also make sure the section your return pump is in, only holds so much water so if it all gets pumped into your tank, it wont overflow it.
You could also put a switch in your return section so if the water gets so low it turns the return pump off and when the water level rises to a good level, it will turn it back on.

I use a esshopp with dual feeds and i don't use the rigid tubs nor a aqualift. I replaced the two rigid tubes with 1" flex tubing from the Lowes and i get the same rated flow as the rigids with out the aqua lifter and when i do water changes i don't worry about restarting the flow in the box it never breaks the seal so it starts the flow as the water increases in the box. Its running this way for 3 years

I use an overflow box from LifeReef Systems, I have had it for 2 years. Jeff, the owner guarantees that it will never lose suction and mine never has. It doesn't require any type of Aqualifter pump or anything. It is a great unit and I highly recommend it. You just won't have the problems that you can have with other overflows. Eshopps unit looks similar and is quite a bit cheaper if funds are tight. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with theirs. I have heard good and bad regarding the CPR overflow. I just use flexible vinyl tubing on mine, it is much easier to clean.

Last edited:
are the tubes more advantageous compared to the rigid box siphon?

How do they prevent loss of siphon? I know with the CPR style overflow box, the outlet for the aqualifter can be the flaw since it can let air in.

Last edited:
never mind. just watched a youtube video on how they work.

If you look at the YouTube video on the LifeReef Overflow, they do have one on there. I have the silencer on mine and I can't hear it at all. The website is Lifereef Filter Systems. The guy that makes them is Jeff and he is very nice, answers all of your questions (I had a lot of them for him). He has them for any size of aquarium. Just tell him what size you have and he will recommend the one you need.

I am very impressed by LifeReef. He has a very long waiting list!

You should call him and talk to him. His name is Jeff and he can let you know what you need and what he has. Sometimes he hasn't updated his availability but he has them.Usually the waiting list is concerning his custom made sumps and refugiums, many time he has the overflows in stock.
I live in Renton if you ever want to check mine out.

I was also worried setting up my first overflow box. I think mine is a standard Eshopps with a rigid U/J tube. After setting it up. I ran the pump, shut it off, watched, ran again, stopped return pump, and watched the system until I felt comfortable with the set up. Nothing short of a space-time-gravity anomaly with break the siphon. No trouble with bubbles building up either.

A trick I discovered by accident, and one that will help get any excess air trapped in J-tube out. I was pouring top-off water straight into overflow box and it sucked the air bubble trapped in my J-tube. You will get the most flow with no air pockets. You could just scoop a pitcher of water from your tank and pour it in.

overflows can be very noisy if you don't have one of those sponge silencers. I had to fabricate one out of some filter pad, very quiet now, don't notice it at all, my rocks make more noise.

One issue I did encounter was finding the right return pump. My overflow box was used, but from looking online I was one of the smaller eshopps, rated at about 300 gph. My system is small. A 38gal with a 10 gal sump, almost nano really. I didn't need a large return. I started with small penguin power head rated at 175 I think, that was garbage and way too loud. never get penguin power heads unless you like lots of noise. Finally settled on a Maxi-Jet 1200 rated at 295gph. My head pressure on my return seemed minimal, even with a few 90 degree angles which are supposed to add a foot of pressure per angle, but I am still putting near the capacity of the overflow. The return itself gives a lot of flow for a tiny 38gal.

My advice is if you need piece of mind, build a fail safe of some kind, but if its all set up right shouldn't need to worry about it. physics will do its thing. and it will free up precious power sockets!

That has been my experience thus far on overflow boxes.

I was also worried setting up my first overflow box. I think mine is a standard Eshopps with a rigid U/J tube. After setting it up. I ran the pump, shut it off, watched, ran again, stopped return pump, and watched the system until I felt comfortable with the set up. Nothing short of a space-time-gravity anomaly with break the siphon. No trouble with bubbles building up either.

A trick I discovered by accident, and one that will help get any excess air trapped in J-tube out. I was pouring top-off water straight into overflow box and it sucked the air bubble trapped in my J-tube. You will get the most flow with no air pockets. You could just scoop a pitcher of water from your tank and pour it in.

overflows can be very noisy if you don't have one of those sponge silencers. I had to fabricate one out of some filter pad, very quiet now, don't notice it at all, my rocks make more noise.

One issue I did encounter was finding the right return pump. My overflow box was used, but from looking online I was one of the smaller eshopps, rated at about 300 gph. My system is small. A 38gal with a 10 gal sump, almost nano really. I didn't need a large return. I started with small penguin power head rated at 175 I think, that was garbage and way too loud. never get penguin power heads unless you like lots of noise. Finally settled on a Maxi-Jet 1200 rated at 295gph. My head pressure on my return seemed minimal, even with a few 90 degree angles which are supposed to add a foot of pressure per angle, but I am still putting near the capacity of the overflow. The return itself gives a lot of flow for a tiny 38gal.

My advice is if you need piece of mind, build a fail safe of some kind, but if its all set up right shouldn't need to worry about it. physics will do its thing. and it will free up precious power sockets!

That has been my experience thus far on overflow boxes.

I got my LifeReef overflow with the optional silencer. It is made from pvc and sits over the drain, no sponge, and I can't hear it at all. I shut mine off twice a day when I feed and I have never lost suction. When I clean it I take it out and clean it, put it back on, suck out the air with an air tube, and star the pump, any air left in the tube gets sucked right out into the sump. I can't say enough about the one I have.

@ N1husker- do you have the single or the double?

I have a single nano with a mag 7 pump. It is a little workhorse. I have a 50 gallon tank and a 20 gallon sump. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was at U dub Medical center all day. My wife had a triple bypass 3 weeks ago and she has had a couple of scares so we had to go to the emergency room for the second time since the surgery.

I have a single nano with a mag 7 pump. It is a little workhorse. I have a 50 gallon tank and a 20 gallon sump. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was at U dub Medical center all day. My wife had a triple bypass 3 weeks ago and she has had a couple of scares so we had to go to the emergency room for the second time since the surgery.

NO PROB. hope she is doing better now.

maybe some time I can come over and check out your over flow..

NO PROB. hope she is doing better now.

maybe some time I can come over and check out your over flow..

Yes, that would be great. You are welcome to come over anytime. My wife has a doctors appointment today and she should get her stitches removed. Probably anytime after Wednesday afternoon I will be home all day and in the evening.

Maybe on the weekend. I am close by and in no hurry so let ur wife heal up a bit then we can set something up. Just let me know when is good for you.. thanks for letting me come take a look..

Back