overflow box ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I’m not sure what mod your talking about but if it’s the pipe attachments with the inlet facing down then it is done for the purpose of reducing the water noise. Works great I did it to mine and it cuts out 99% of the water fall noise you get from that type of box. Now as far as the reducing the size of the pipe it all depends if you will still get enough flow threw for you system. If your return pump overtakes the overflow you can flood your tank over the top.

I’m not sure what mod your talking about but if it’s the pipe attachments with the inlet facing down then it is done for the purpose of reducing the water noise. Works great I did it to mine and it cuts out 99% of the water fall noise you get from that type of box. Now as far as the reducing the size of the pipe it all depends if you will still get enough flow threw for you system. If your return pump overtakes the overflow you can flood your tank over the top.
thats what i was talking about, is their a rule of thumb on placement of that elbow as to placement in the box, from the bottom of the box to the elbow

I don't think there is a "rule of thumb" for that. But I do think that your water level in that box should be at about the middle to the upper 3/4 part of the pvc tee's.

What's the sponges for?

I don't think there is a "rule of thumb" for that. But I do think that your water level in that box should be at about the middle to the upper 3/4 part of the pvc tee's.

What's the sponges for?
not sure they came like that, its a cpr cs102 box

Not 100% how the cpr overflow box works, but I'd assume that if the water level is too low then the siphon could break if/when the return pump stops pumping, such as in a power outage event.

I'd test that to make sure after a power off event, the overflow box continues to flow properly.

Good luck,

Rob

I just set up a new tank, and instead of these I used a "Herbie" style drain. It runs completely silent.

I would highly recommend this style, but the downside is that you NEED to have 2 drain lines.

The basic concept is this: On your main drain, you put a valve inline (I think a gate valve would be best, but I have mine set up with a ball valve.) You turn the valve to cause the pipe to completely fill with water, and backup the water in the overflow box ~4 inches or so. Now, there is zero air in the line, and it runs absolutely silent.

There is a little fluctuation though in the flow, so occassionally the second drain kicks in (silent, very low water flow) to adust for this. Also, since you are restricting the main drain line, if something got stuck, you could have an overflow, so that is a se4cond reason why you need a second overflow box/drain line.

Anyway, I'm extremely happy with this setup, as I'm moving a lot of water absolutly silently. If you haven't done your plumbing yet, you can add a valve in line to the drain, then you have the option of turning on this type of system (as lone as you put a second drain in.)

Before I figured this system out, I already had a second backup drain on my main tank and my fuge, just for extra protection, to make it so my DT or fuge will never overflow and flood the room.

Looks like that box has 2 drains, but think you would need an extra box for the herbie. You could take both of those intakes and join them to 1 pipe to do the herbie system (maybe 1 1/4" or 1.5?)

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Let me know if you have any interest, and I can talk more about it and put some pictures of my pluming up.

rob

If that's the durso, I did the same mod. It works great on noise reduction. I have also fed a air hose thru the top hole to reduce even more water noise by feeding air deeper into the pipe.

I just set up a new tank, and instead of these I used a "Herbie" style drain. It runs completely silent.

I would highly recommend this style, but the downside is that you NEED to have 2 drain lines.

The basic concept is this: On your main drain, you put a valve inline (I think a gate valve would be best, but I have mine set up with a ball valve.) You turn the valve to cause the pipe to completely fill with water, and backup the water in the overflow box ~4 inches or so. Now, there is zero air in the line, and it runs absolutely silent.

There is a little fluctuation though in the flow, so occassionally the second drain kicks in (silent, very low water flow) to adust for this. Also, since you are restricting the main drain line, if something got stuck, you could have an overflow, so that is a se4cond reason why you need a second overflow box/drain line.

Anyway, I'm extremely happy with this setup, as I'm moving a lot of water absolutly silently. If you haven't done your plumbing yet, you can add a valve in line to the drain, then you have the option of turning on this type of system (as lone as you put a second drain in.)

Before I figured this system out, I already had a second backup drain on my main tank and my fuge, just for extra protection, to make it so my DT or fuge will never overflow and flood the room.

Looks like that box has 2 drains, but think you would need an extra box for the herbie. You could take both of those intakes and join them to 1 pipe to do the herbie system (maybe 1 1/4" or 1.5?)

Anyway, just thought I'd share. Let me know if you have any interest, and I can talk more about it and put some pictures of my pluming up.

rob
mine has two drains,1'' any pics of this style

mine has two drains,1'' any pics of this style

For a "herbie" style system, you would need 2 overflow boxes... 2 1" drains in the same box wouldn't cut it, because you would have to backup that overflow box to make it run silent. You can search the web for herbie drains and get a lot of information. If you are starting fresh, I highly recommend, as it is guarenteed to be silent.

Here's pics of my plumbing

http://picasaweb.google.com/jrgilles/AquariumConstruction?feat=directlink

but you could probably find something that makes more sense by looking up herbie on google. Pretty much what you would need is just a valve to control the pipe diameter on the main drain line (down by where it goes into the sump) and a second overflow box and drain.

rob

Back