Overflow Box

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Webos

I'm building an overflow box for my 55 and was wondering what would be the best spacing in between each of the teeth i guess you could call them that. I was thinking about a quarter of an inch but i figured a half would be big enough for the fish to get through.

Thanks

Dan

I usually do all my baffle teeth with a 3/8" router bit 1-7/8" deep and a 9/16" spacing between teeth (center of tooth to center of tooth). I have a jig that I made to facilitate making baffles for tanks/overflows/skimmer boxes. Works like a charm everytime.

Cheers,
Alex

IMG_2750.jpg

Alex is right on. Mine is not quite 1/2 inch (I dont recall how big, but it's bigger than 3/8) and I regret it. I got a small goby and it was freaked when I added him to the tank, he darted all over the tank. Where did he end up? Yea, after the second time fishing the little bugger out of the overflow I put mesh over it.

Thanks Alex for the picture, I did get the overflow built last night and now the big question is how to glue it to the tank. I have some silicon sealant from HD that is aquarium safe or is there something else that i can use that will hold it up.

E6000 works great for bonding acrylic to glass. Silicone won't do it because it doesn't bond to acrylic very well if at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I cut my teeth at 1/4" and had to add mesh to them cause I had to fish Clown Gobies out of my return

E6000 or E6100 E6100 is the non sag formula. Both are available in clear or black.

Cheers,
Alex

Thank you all for your input, I did get some E6000 and glued the overflow to the glass and worked like a charm. Now i'm looking for a return pump. The overflow has two two inch holes with 90s on them. Should I stay with 2" down to the sump and do 3/4" return line with a Mag 7 or 9.5. I'm rounding up and it would be about 5 feet of lift to be on the safe side.

Thanks,
Dan

The two 2-in. holes will fit bulkheads for pipe that is smaller than 2-in. Or do you mean that the 90's are 2-in pipe?

I would use a 1-in return rather than 3/4. That way you will still have good flow after you start getting build-up in the return line.

I have two holes with the bulkheads installed, and in the overflow box i have two 2" 90s in there and on the other side i'm going to 90 them down and T them together before it gets to my sump. OK i can use 1 inch with no problem, is the Mag 9.5 to big or would it be just right.

Thanks. I didn't catch that it was a link (I was expecting to see the photo in the post).

Anyway - it looks like you are using a gate valve on your return line to adjust the return flow. Correct?

What is the piece labeled Intake Line? Do you mean Overflow from Tank?

I would run my overflow line as straight as possible (no obstructions or bends) to the sump.
What you show has two bends, which are places that "things" can get stuck and cause obstructions.
I'm not sure that would get you much flow to the refugium, however.

Why not change the order of the refugium and the return pump space?

I have two overflows cut into the tank, I was going to run one to the refuge and the other to the skimmer. With other replies i was informed to run them both to the skimmer side and just use the return water from the pump to flow into the refuge.

Back