Overflow causing problem problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbfreek

I have a 70g tank and I'm using a CPR CS50 overflow to syphon water to the sump. My return pump is a Mag7 so I have to turn the ball valve way down to prevent the waterline from getting to high, so the flow coming from my return line is pretty weak. Lately I've noticed that the two fish in the tank aren't looking very well so I check the parims and find that the amonia and nitrite are up more than usual. Would the flow from the tank (being pretty poor) cause this to happen.
Thanks!

I would maybe add more internal flow such as a few PH's, tunze or one of those stream type PH that move lots of water. Is this your problem? No I doubt it, feeding & pooping fish, crabs etc cause most of those problems. Try doing a few large wc's within a few days apart.

Why not lower the overflow adjustments and run full power? Can add a maxijet for more flow

I have the overflow down as far as it can go and I also have 2 Koralia 4's in the tank.

So you guy's would say that the flow going through the sump isn't the problem?
All that I have for filteration is an ASM skimmer and sump. Should I invest in another type of filteration? Canister?
Right now the only thing in there is a med lion and a med snowflake eel.
I'm doing 7g waterchanges every other week, the last one was done last weekend.
Would it make sense to do larger water changes 15g once a week instead of every other week?
Thanks for the help guys.

That is about 4.9% every other week. about 10% a month but actually less than that!

Do a 20G wc & once again within a week!

Yeah I agree more water changes. I do 10 gallons every week on my 40b. There is probaly only 35 gallons of total water volume in there so that equals to about a 30% water change per week.

So it's not the overflow problem at all but rather my lack of water changes. Makes sense, Thanks for the help.

So it's not the overflow problem at all but rather my lack of water changes. Makes sense, Thanks for the help.

Plus the two huge-waste-producers you have in the tank.

You need more porous media (live rock, sand, even bioballs) for more bacteria to do the ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate conversions.

Back