overflow flow rates???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dirtyd206

so i have a 75 gall being plumbed as we speak and it has a built in corner overflow thats 6x6x6 that have inch slots. theres a 1" stand pipe drilled so whats my max gph. or do you think the overflow could keep up with a mag 18 or maybe a mag 12. i want alot of flow but i dont want to end up sucking air all the time. also do you think it would be the overflow it self thats to small or could i bump up to a 2 inch drain ????:confused:

1" is plenty big enough. Most people run 3-5 X's their tank volume through the drain/sump. In your case 375 g/hr would be 5X your tank volume. I would say you are set as is. If you can, plumb in another 'safety' drain pipe in case your main gets plugged.
Here are some calculators you can use for this stuff:
http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

hmmm i know i just want my tank to be wippin it up like a blender im doing bare bottum and i have to closed loups with a total of 5 returns and 2 huge intakes that are drilled and set up to stack the rock on. so i geuss ill bump it down to 500, or 600.. and thanks a hole lot for the calurp i got it in the holding tank with the clowns and they love playin in it. ill try and get a picture there taking turns paddeling acrossed it its the most halariouse thing i ever seen a clown do it looks like a slipin slide!!! lol

you got the right idea in using the CL for your flow. Definately post a build thread with pics of the new setup. Glad I could help ya out with the macro. Did the halimeda make it? You probably also got a few baby snails in the chaeto.

Last edited:
that 1" should handle about 600 gallons a hour. There is a few more factors but the base of a 1" is 600, if I remember right.

If you have a closed loop use that for water movement and go slow through your sump especially if you have a in sump skimmer. Lower flow will also help with the critters growth like copepods, etc. You want just enough flow through there to filter the water the way you want it filtered and then returned to the tank.

I have a 90 gallon and I use 2 K4's for movement (2500 gph) and the sump is running around 400 GPH with the head pressure etc. I have a in sump skimmer, I want the water to stay in the sump to be run through the skimmer as much as possible. I have a MSX-160 skimmer (rate 150 gallon for Heavy Bio-Load), oversized incase I needed to speed up the flow in my sump.

I use my return line to put the flow over the rocks as needed.

Hope this helps

the halimeda is doing good it got home and was all white but it was dark green the next day and has been doing good since. and yes lots of little baby snails and pods. thanks again.

Back