Overflow help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FreakinReefin

Insert idiot comment
Don't I need a cap on this tube in order to start the syphon? Would it be a good idea to have one? Such as one where I could drill a hole for an aqua lifter?

If you could turn the opeing of the pvc so it was facing down you could then drill a small hole half way and start the siphone that way.

The white tube in the pictures looks like it only has an opening on the top, is that correct? If so then it is too high in the box. I can’t see it in the pictures but I hope there is an intake opening down below, that can not be seen in the picture. If that’s the case then you can put a cap on the top with a small hole like 1/8th in for the air but to answer your question you do not need a cap in this case. The cap would just be to reduce noise.

If you could turn the opeing of the pvc so it was facing down you could then drill a small hole half way and start the siphone that way.

The white tube in the pictures looks like it only has an opening on the top, is that correct? If so then it is too high in the box. I can’t see it in the pictures but I hope there is an intake opening down below, that can not be seen in the picture. If that’s the case then you can put a cap on the top with a small hole like 1/8th in for the air but to answer your question you do not need a cap in this case. The cap would just be to reduce noise.

The tube with no top is the straight pipe down to the sump tube. I'll post a better pic. The elbow to the left is open on the bottom to the water.

Last edited:
Is the drain pipe glued to the BH? You shouldn't have to. If you didn't. Take the drain pipe out and cut it down a bit so you can place a cap on it. Pretty simple.

I wouldn’t worry about it. The worst that could happen is you will have to take it all apart and start over.

Haha

Just kidding.

Its fine, I can see it better in your second picture. You can just shave off a cap to put on the tube if there is a noise problem, no need to cut what you already have if there is a clearance problem under the tank brace. Easer to shave the cap then cut the tube that is already glued into place.

For a internal overflow like you have, there is technically no syphon, it's just gravity that brings the water from your display to your sump. I don't think you should need an aqualifter either.

(A syphon would be used on external overflows where the water goes over the top of the tank. Some mfgrs of these types of overflows recommend an aqualifter to make sure the syphon doesn't break after a power outage, etc)

HTH,

Rob

You should be able to find a end cap at your local Lowes, Home Depot, etc. then if you can drill a small hole in it to allow air in the drain. This lets it breath, so you don't get the gurgling sound.

Back