Overflow Questions

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

2 holes drilled and NO broken glass!

My drill bits came in this afternoon and ran into the LFS and bought myself 2 bulkheads. I scaled back my designs a bit and decided to drill 1- 1.5" bulkhead and 1- 3/4" bulkhead. I plan on having a modified coast to coast over flow covering 2 thirds of the tank and centered. The 1.5" bulkhead is on the far left and the 3/4" bulkhead is centered. The first hole I drilled was for the 3/4" bulkhead. It was easy! Surprisingly easy! The 1.5" bulkhead hole was a little more challenging for 2 reasons. First the bit is huge and without a guide the bit liked to walk around on the glass, alot! The second reason, which probably contribute to some of the first, was my bit was not exactly straight and square. It had just enough of a wabble that it made it a little challenging and stressful when it came to the last mm of glass. All in all drilling glass is not as hard or as stressful as some warned. I would do it again.

Here are a few tips.

I was sitting in a chair and was able to prop my elbows against my knees for stability.

When drilling make sure you are in the low speed setting and start with very low RPMS with even light pressure to get you going.

-Jason

It sounds scarier than it is but we warn people to just GO SLOW and take your time!
The last thing we all want to see is someone break there tank.
Can't wait for pics!!!!
Gonna look nice!!!

Also when a friend showed me how to drill glass we used the dripping water from a hose thing and we set the clutch on it so if it caught the glass it would rip it/ try to rotate the tank. nice and slow. he also have thing plastic thing with holes in it. we used it to keep the bit from wandering around while getting started. that helped a lot!
Stephen

Photos of the stand build

Here are photos of the stand. I am still pondering how I want to the doors so they are not done yet nor is the hood.

Last edited:
All was had at Home Depot thanks to Gift Cards

Thanks for the props. All the materials were bought at home depot. It is wrapped in 1/2" birch plywood on the sides and 3/4" birch plywood on the decks. It took visits to 3 different Home Depot stores to find good sheets that had not been scratched dinged or otherwise damaged. The trim pieces are your run of the mill composite board trim pieces. The whole thing was stained with Minwax Polyshades Bombay Mahogany, 2 coats is all it took! No need to cover with additional laquer as the Polyshades is a polyurethane/stain combo.

-Jason

Wow that skin is great
Where did you buy the wood for that?

Back