overflow rate for a 125 gal tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

darklcd

nursing eel
Hey all

I am trying to get an idea of what I should do for the overflow box going to my sump. I have seen them anywhere from 600 gph to 1200 or more and I don't know what to do.

Can anyone give me any idea?

Eshopps recommends a dual overflow rated at 900 gph for tanks from 125 up to 200. Then CPR suggests a single 800 gph. So it would depend on your return pump too. How many gph it is going to push at the head height of you return line. Then that would depend on how many gph you want running thru your sump. Also if you plan running water in more than one route off your return pump, say to a refugium or a reactor or two.

I personally would use the dual overflow with at 1000gph pump. Put a T in the return line so water can be redirected to a reactor or back into the sump in case you need to slow down the return flow so the overflow can keep up. I think the 1000 gph would not push more than 800 gph at 5ft head height any way.

what size are the drains? if its a dual overflow with 1" drain and 3/4" return in both overflows they are rated for 1200 or 600 each. i have a dual overflow on mine but i use all 4 as drains and use a reeflo dart for my return pump.

what size are the drains? if its a dual overflow with 1" drain and 3/4" return in both overflows they are rated for 1200 or 600 each. i have a dual overflow on mine but i use all 4 as drains and use a reeflo dart for my return pump.

I kink of sounded to me like he doesnt have a built in overflow and he is looking for a HOB overflow box. But I may be wrong. I needed your info too though. Thanks.

I am going to have to go with a HOB as I don't think I will be able to drill the new tank. I am not sure what I am going to use for a return pump and my plan for the sump is to have the water start in the Skimmer area then move to the fuge then to a return area with an in water returm pump.

The bottom is tempered and can't be drilled and the sides maybe but I am in a rental house at the moment and I don't want to start drilling a tank before I am in a house and I know 100% that the tank will not move.

I am not sure what I should run for a return pump as I have bever worked with a sump and I don't know how much water I need to run through it.

well i wasnt going to suggest drilling the bottom. my reasoning for drilling the tank is that i have heard so many horror stories about overflow boxes and flooding. i would run a mag 9.5 or sedra 1200 or eheim 1262. you can always put a ball valve on the output side of the pump. the flow is totally up to how big of an overflow box you buy. you will have people who swears by slow flow through the sump and there are those who swear by higher volume through the sump. so really al you need to do is pick an overflow box find out its max rating and get a pump that will do that with all the head loss calculated into it.

There has been horror stories with U tube overflow boxes. I have been using them on two tanks for a couple years. If the tank and sump are set up to handle the overflow amount, you will not have a flood. Mine are set up so that if the return pump stops, the tank will continue to flow into the sump until the water level falls below the top of the overflow box. But my sump is large enought that it will hold that water without overflowing. The sump is also set up so that if the over flow U tube looses syphon the pump will only pump so much water into the tank and there is room in the tank to hold it without overflowing. Unfortunately that means the pump runs somewhat dry. Thats why I also use Eheim pumps for the return. They do better than most when they run dry. And they dont run completely dry. There will still be a little water in the return section.
If it were me!!!!
What I would do is use the Eshopps dual overflow box, (get an extra U-tube just to have when cleaning the others) and an Eheim 1262 pump. 40 gal long or 40 gal breeder tank for a sump and build in 3 sections. One section for the skimmer, one for the refugium and one for the return pump area. Return pump area holding no more than 4 gallons. I would also put a T in the return line with a ball valve off the leg of the T so that you can hook up a reactor, whether carbon or GFO.
Here is a great site for figuring out how a sump works and building one.

i have a question guys i have a 125 gal fowlr tank i have a eshopps 200cc wet dry fllter i have a 950gph mag drive my overflow box is a dual but i can only get 1 j-tube to stay on the pet store said it should be fine with a single but i paid for two can somebody please help me

Back