overflow with noisy gurgle flushing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tdfox

I have a corner overflow 90gal. I am getting a lot of loud gurgle flushing sound. I do have a magnaflow brand durso standpipe. no matter how I adjust it the same sound comes from it. Can I quiet it down? the water level does fluctuate a little but not much.
Can it quieted down?
Thanks
Travis

hey Mark Thanks for the reply.
I was trying to up my flow rate like you suggested the other day. So yeah I will have to throttle it back down. I did add a couple of powerheads to help stir things up. Things are looking better!
Thanks
Travis

AGA used to put a little nipple on the top of the standpipe. One of the fixes for this is to drill the hole in the nipple on top a little bit to allow more air into the system. However, if you go this route, go SLOWLY. You only want the hole big enough to stop the sound and NO BIGGER.

AGA used to put a little nipple on the top of the standpipe. One of the fixes for this is to drill the hole in the nipple on top a little bit to allow more air into the system. However, if you go this route, go SLOWLY. You only want the hole big enough to stop the sound and NO BIGGER.

yeah you know I was wondering about that very thing. I was just waiting to see if someone suggested it. The hole is very small that is there. I will increase it by a couple of mm and see what it does.

Out of curiosity if you go to big what is the drawback?

Thanks
Travis

Just drilled new caps! I will be trying the JG valve mod. I got all the stuff in hand so we shall see how it works.

DB

I just put it together. Very steady water level. Just a very minor whistle. I will try putting a piece of pipe on it to silence it. I also have much less air in the return to the sump, which has quieted down the splashing from below.

DB

The latest update

So after a bit more trial and error I have come up with a SILENT solution. I took and drilled a 23/64 hole in the top of my 1" cap. (top of standpipe) Then stuffed a 3/8" clear plastic tube in about 5/16" in the cap.(Total length is about 5"). Then on top of all this is a 3/8" TUBE X MIP valve. You can adjust the valve to regulate how much suction you get, in order to get the perfect flow WITHOUT the flushing effect. Here is a picture of the final product.

DB

Last edited:
looks good!

now I like the looks of that! I think I will move to that. Thanks for the ideas!

So after a bit more trial and error I have come up with a SILENT solution. I took and drilled a 23/64 hole in the top of my 1" cap. (top of standpipe) Then stuffed a 3/8" clear plastic tube in about 5/16" in the cap.(Total length is about 5"). Then on top of all this is a 3/8" TUBE X MIP valve. You can adjust the valve to regulate how much suction you get, in order to get the perfect flow WITHOUT the flushing effect. Here is a picture of the final product.

DB

no!!!

Hey, tdfox have you done this mod yet? Waiting to see how it works for you!!

DB

ARRRGGHH
I have been putting in new irrigation in my orchard I don't hardly have time for a water change.
The biggist issue is with the noise. Since we have been sooo busy this time of year we don't watch many movies so I have not taken the time to do it. I have everything ready it will only take about 3 min and then I'll give the report!

Back