Overflow

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Wadec

Hello, I`m brand new here and new to fish tanks so I have alot to learn.I have a 100 gallen tank that i`m building, I want to put the overflow on the out side of the the tank on the back. The question is how many slots do I have to cut for it? I`ll make it go all the way down and put a Durso stand pipe in it. I have been looking at the ones that go inside and they seem to be sloted on three sides. So i`m not sure how many I need on the back. I`m building this in to the wall so space on the back is no problem. I was thinking on running two returns from the wet/dry, that I built as well, to the both top corners. I still don`t know what size pump I need but one problem at a time!:lol: Thanks!

Thanks for the welcome! I have looked at those but I don`t want to have it in the tank. I like the look of them with little equiptment in tank. Thanks!

Welcome to RF! The size of the overflow as well as the slot size from what I understand is all based on the type of flow you want it to handle. There are a few members here quite good at working them out for you once you give them some idea of how much you want it to handle, also don't forget the bulkhead size has to be factored into the equation as well to be able to handle a particular flow. Take an All-Glass Megaflow tank for example, each overflow is only good for I think 600 gph per overflow so with them, you have to run 2 seperate overflows if you want it to handle 1200gph. Another example is the CPR overflows that can handle from 300 gph up to some that handle 1600gph. I have the CS100 CPR overflow for example, that is good for 800 gph using a 1 inch bulkhead. This chart will show you what I mean for example, on the size of the overflow and size of the bulkheads used to handle a paricular flow with this design. In any event, I personally think that the best way to figure out how much you want the overflow to handle, is to figure out how much flow your sump is rated for or how much you want to flow through your sump. That way, you can match up your overflow to it. HTH helps some:)

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CS100&Category_Code=CPROverflow

Where is the water coming out of the tank the very bottom? is this planned or already drilled is it glass or acrylic and is the tank in place or in the planning stages I ask to see what options are available as It makes a difference :)

just a thought, the cpr over flow is really small within the tank being about 6.5" by 1" by about 4" high (the smallest one anyways) and is really quite, i heard one running the other day and convinced me to buy one really, but i think for built in overflows it depends on how much flow and such you want out of your tank, and then you can go closed loop sort of style and have return outputs drilled into the tank too, i'm not too good with the drilling the tanks stuff so i go hang on back

Hello, My tank is a acrylic one, it`s all together, except for the top. I have it done I just havn`t put it on yet, as i was waiting to figure out the overflow. There are no holes drilled it yet. I thought i could just drill holes in the top for the returns and slot the back for a overflow. The link Kirsh75 sent me says this,800 GPH 1" Bulkhead 10" . I`m not sure how much flow i`m supposed to have. Like i said i`m a noob! The tank will just have fish and mabye so live rock as i can afford it. I would like to goto a reef but thats a long way off as i need to be able to take care of fish before i tackle a reef. All i need is to get this overflow figured, the plumbing done,and the pump i need to get and i think i can start the cycling. It`s no trouble for me to make the acylic stuff as we have it at my work and i run a cnc router so i can just make the parts on it. My whole tank was done from what my work calls scrap. Thanks for the replys!:D

I'll see if I can shoot someone here a pm who should be able to give you some insight on the overflow. :)

Welcome Wadec,

nice to see another face from the area on RF :D

On to your question ..... I chatted with Charlie a little tonight and he said you might be interested in coming over this weekend. If you do I have several overflows for you to look at and get some ideas. If they don't work for you then maybe we can assist in layout of what you would like.

I'm not a pro by no means but have learned a little from here as well as from Charlie. We have a great source of knowledge here with Charlie and KevinPo not that far away.

Hope you show up Sunday and get to meet eachother. You never know I may even know you, I worked at Semitool for 6 years :(

once again welcome
Duane

Give me a call if you need anything, Charlie said you got my number

hello Duane, Thanks for the welcome! I will be coming over after the work deal, it`s a bummer! Here`s a pic of my tank, the paper is still on but i got it in the wall.

Oh my,
With one more person in the valley into this addictive hobby we could have fun simply designing layouts and thinking up new ideas and better ways of doing things.

With a 100gals we have several options and differnt ways to go about making a good system. what you need to decide is are you going a softy tank, sps tank, or mix. It will make differences in how you do things.

Can't wait to meet you Sunday

till then
Duane

Back