Overwhelmed~Needing Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

stuntkiteflyer

Go fly a kite
As the topic says I’m overwhelmed. Unfortunately my tanks have suffered neglect because of my life getting in the way. I don’t want a pity party but I was diagnosed with Arthritis (I’m 21) and so they have been mucking with meds to try to prevent damage to my joints. So I’ve been under the weather, going to school and working.

Anyway I noticed (really, really noticed) that my tanks are in bad shape but I just don’t know what to do. I’ve feeling overwhelmed at how bad it is. I’m glad to say that all creatures in my tanks are alive (some of which I have no idea what they are) but I just don’t know where to begin. I don’t want to tear down my 34 (the worse one) because it has my two baby clownfish, whom I love. But I just don’t know what else to do…

So if ANYONE has any suggestions on how to get rid of ANYTHING to help my tank PLEASE post or pm me. Anything would be appreciated.

Ashley R.

Ashley,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

First, can you tell us how how large this tank is?

What are the water parameters ? (include nitrates and phosphate)

Do you have a skimmer?
How much and how often do you feed your fish?
How old are your lights?
Do you use RO/DI water?

For starters, I would start with a water change using RO/DI water. I would suggest a 35%, but others may suggest a 50%.

Algae needs nutrients to grow, so we need to determine whether that source is coming from and curtail it.

If you live close to Bothell, and if you need help doing any of this, I don't mind helping you. The offer is on the table. :D

Kirk

Test your water, change your water. Check your skimmer. Don't feed for a couple of days or cut way back.

I have a 24 gallon which isn't in too bad of shape, that one i just need to get in and pluck everything.

My 34 is the jungle. I got the tank this summer. It was a brand new Aquapod with everything built in. I feed them every other day and not even half a cube of food for the two clowns and two small gobies (plus crabs and snails).

I haven't tested the water in months unfortunetly and all my tests are heck knows where.

I just want to get rid of the stuff, would plucking the best method?

I live in Federal Way/Auburn.

I think that everyone here on RF wishes you the best, and wants to help out. My opinion would be to check out aquarium maintenance companys, it seems that with everthing going on with your condition, you really don't have the time to take care of your tanks. That's what a service would do for you. I don't know how much they cost but it's worth checking in to. Ask around for some good companys, ask your LFS. Good luck!!

Dave

If you have the budget for hiring a maintenance company, it may be a good investement. They would be able to test the water and provide a plan to get the tank up and running the way you want it to be.

Otherwise, your first step is to test the water (ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, pH, and phosphate). (most LFS provide a free service for this).

Second step is to perform a significant water change.

i agree.. do a good size water change.. i would also stop feeding frozen foods..the main thing would be to do a big water change and run some carbon.. it should begin to clear up afterwards

Yep, work, and work some more at cleaning those tanks up. Get some joes juice or make up some kalk past to kill those aptasia. Do some frequent WC's, Skim wetter if you have skimmers, rinse the frozen food better and dont use pellets or flake food. Pull as much algea as possible by hand and do your best to not neglect them any more.

suntkiteflyer - kalk paste is made from kalkwasser + some water to make it a paste consistency.

My suggestion is to remove the rocks and either let them shed out in a dark container (water, heat if needed, water changes, and circulation) or turn your lights off for several days. It should make manually removing the algae a little easier. Your corals and fish will be fine. Just remember if you turn your tank lights off for a few days, then you'll need to break them into their photoperiod again.

As everyone else mentioned, water changes, and watch your nutrient inputs, too.

Sorry to hear about the arthritis! I hope the meds work quickly for you :) As for the tank, what are you using for filtration?? If you are using any bio-balls in a wet/dry environment that can attribute to the problem of un-wanted algae (especially if the tank has been neglected for a while and nothing has been done to dilute the high nitrate levels). Secondly, are you using any sponges in your system that may have been sitting for long periods? If so, that will attribute to your algae problem as well. Sponges should be cleaned or changed every 2-3 days to prevent whatever they catch from breaking down, rotting and degrading water quality. All in all, like suggested, I'd get to doing some good water changes using ro/di water and start diluting any excess nutrients in your system. It may take some time for things to get back to normal, but just be patient. Good luck! :)

THANK YOU to everyone who has responded, all your ideas are helping me decide what to do next.

I never thought about the sponge. It's the first form of filtration in the tank and I haven't touched it since I got it. I bet it's nasty and could be making a huge contribution. I'm going to the LFS tomorrow to have them check my water. I've been having them mix the salt water for me so it is all RO water.

I have to get rid of those aptasias. Those are my biggest worry because they are multiplying like no business, and it's hurting my zoo's and everything else. Whats the BEST way to get rid of them? I tried the joe's juice on the biggest one, didn't faze him. Are you not supposed to dilute it like the box says? I'm just worried about hurting everything else in the tank while trying to get rid of those things.

Ashley, first of all I wouldn't say you are that bad off...a "little" algae and some aptasia are easy to take care of with a little work.

As it was pointed out you probably have high levels of nitrates or phosphates that is feeding the algae. Water tests are a good idea but you can get it under control with water changes while you look for the root of the problem (and get an idea of what your water parameters are); which there are many things to research in your systems (filtration/sponge, etc.) already pointed out. You can remove some of the algae by hand but as soon as you isolate and remove the food source (for the algae) it should go away over time.

We took a trip to NYC this summer and came home to a nasty algae bloom. I made sure to do a little work every night and was able to clean the tank after a few days and eventually got the [bad] nutrients under control and everything was looking better within a couple of weeks...it just takes a little patience (and work) to get that back into shape.

As far as aptasia go, Joe's Juice will work with persistence. I too was worried about it getting into the water but the stray stuff that got away once in a while had no effect on anything else, it's really a matter of being careful and not spraying it directly onto anything but the aptasia. There are other solutions like nudibranches (can't remember the name of the ones that eat aptasia) or a copper banded butterfly (which are notoriously picky eaters) but I would start with Joe's Juice (or kalk paste) and just hit a few each night...you might get them all over time. If not you can look into alternate means of control.

All-in-all I would say put in a little work each night, whatever you can do, and keep at it and you're tanks will be back in great shape in no time...probably just in time for summer fun! :)

Back