Ozone on mixed reef?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Kinerson

I have a 150g mixed reeftank with softies, lps, sps, and anemones. I was wondering if running a little ozone would help reduce the chemical effects on my sps from the softies? I have an adjustable redsea ozone generator along with a controller. I already run carbon to help with this but didn't know if ozone would benefit enough to make it worth while.

Thanks,
Greg

Any suggestions as to how much ozone to inject? My entire system is about 160gal. The current orp value averages around 350 without ozone injected. I think I want to inject enough to take the egde off, perhaps increase light output a bit and improve misc compunds created by a mixed reef. Someone mentioned they inject about .1mg/gal in there mixed reef.

Also, I have two skimmers. One is an Ameracle brand that is rated for 250g and the other is a ASM rated for aournd the same I think. I believe the ASM is ok for ozone use but not sure about the other. IMO the amaricle skimmer is not nearly as good as the ASM but it seems a bit more convient for ozone because the collection cup has a hole to allow the air out. This creates a good spot to place a bag of gac. The ASM on the other hand dosen't really have "a hole" on the collection cup to allow air to go out, instead it seems to allow the air to flow out all around the lid of the colloection cup. I'm not sure how to capture the ozone bleed off with a bag of gac with this setup.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Greg

Thanks for the fast response. Any idea about that ASM skimmer? The air coming out around the collection cup is a problem and perhaps a bigger one is the way the skimmed water leaves the skimmer. It travels up a tube and then kinda overflows around it falling down. Would it be ok to 90' off this so that I can direct the outflow threw some gac? Would that mess up the performance of the skimmer?

Greg

I'd be inlcined to use the Amiracle as a sacrifical ozone reactor (its a poor skimmer IMO)

The ASM is a much better skimmer IMO

Thanks for your consideration. I was thinking the same thing. I agree, it's a poor skimmer but still costs around $180. Any idea how long it would last before ozone has it's way with it? I'm thinking I will be injecting a fairly low amount. Could I get a few years out of it? When it does "die" what would be a good replacement?
Greg

if you have to buy the skimmer... I would not. I thought you had one on hand to use as an ozone reactor. For that you can simply DIY one (PVC with air and water effluents passing through carbon)

If you have no skimmer at all... ASM, Euro-reef or AquaC are top value performers IMO

Yes I do own both of the skimmers. I was just considering all my options before deciding what to do. Any idea how long the americle skimmer would last with ozone use? Months or years?
Thanks,
Greg

Back