Ozone problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ahh! Thanks Anthony! You made me feel much better about my husbandry techniques if I may be so presumptious! :D

Turning my ozone off for the time being is more to try and reduce any O3 running amok in the display before I build the GAC filter for the skimmer outflow and restart the business.

Tone :)

Anthony Calfo said:
very good point too from Greg about ORP probes. Even the very expensive ones are sensitive and have a short life of reliability generally (months not years)

My pH and ORP (nearly left that out then realised ... ) probes were last cleaned a month ago in Vodka ... I know I should rather be drinking it! ... So I've just cleaned them again after Greg's post and returned them to their sentry posts. Yikes!!! After an hour, ORP is sitting at 280mV. Please tell me that this gets better :lol:

Tone :eek:

From my experience (which is very limited compared to others) your new orp reading of 280mv will stablize in 24 hours to the REAL orp value which probally will be closer to the newer value then the older value. 280mv sounds pretty decent considering your no longer running ozone.

I'm still trying to come up with a solution for my ozone issue. I to have stoped running ozone in the meantime. I have three sick fish still (no doubt caused by stresses due to some sort of water quality/ozone byproduct issue). Boomer has helped answer many of my questions and at this point on his forum. He thinks that it probally is the ozone generator itself that is perhaps adding some negetive products to my water. I have a aquazone red sea ozone generator that I can try out to see if it is indeed the other generator causeing the problems but at the moment I feel like I should wait and let things stabilize before I try.

Greg

Kinerson said:
From my experience ... your new orp reading of 280mv will stablize in 24 hours to the REAL orp value.

Absolutely right Greg! It has stabilised ... 320mV. Tell you what, the skimmer is ripping some serious stuff out of the water. I'm getting about a cup per day of real black foul smelling yuk! There's a minor amount of hair algae that has invaded the damaged / dead acro but I think this is just part of the renewal cycle and will be tata in a week or so.

Really sorry for your fish, mate. I was reading the ozone articles again, and it would seem that fish can take quite a bit of ozone but it is really the bromide by-products that hit them. Seems logical then that that is a contributing factor to the fishes ill health. What's the old saying, "dilution is the answer to pollution" -- can you do a few major water changes over the next fortnight?

Tone :?:

Thanks for your condolances. I've done 3x15% water changes so far and I've been running lots of carbon. I think at this point the water quality should be pretty much back up to snuff but the damage is done. I'll do another 15% water change tonight.

Greg

Greg... re: the Marine Enterprises salt, FWIW - I would not take it for free. I have used it in the past many times FWIW. But have partly formed my opinion from mentoring aquarists for many years and hearing their concerns/issues. I think there are better salts for the more sensitve and demanding reef creatures that some folks, perhaps like you, keep in aquaria. I'm sure this salt has other places of good use. But for me I do not feel comfortable with it based on previous experiences.

Thanks Anthony. I value your experience. The salt is unfortunatley pretty close to being free for me which makes it difficult to change to some other brand. I have a feeling that this salt is causing me a great deal of grief however.

Greg

Back