Ozone Reactor?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FNPinMO

I have been looking at different ways to apply Ozone to a tank and it seems like the easiest way is to have it run through a venturi protein skimmer. I have an ETSS 800 Gemini on my 180 gallon right now but do not want to use it with the ozone running through it. I thought about adding a second "disposable" cheap skimmer just to run ozone through. Do you have any suggestions of a cheap skimmer that would work well or a better way to apply ozone? TIA!!

I added a recirculating Venturi pump to my skimmers mixing chamber, so more air AND ozone is injected into it. You can pick up a Sedra 3500 with venturi and needlewheel for about 80 bucks.

Are you keeping the ozone out of the skimmer for any particular reason?

Another option would be to use airstones such as the ozone safe stones Aquatic Eco-systems sell.

The owner/developer of ETSS says that Ozone is not very effective being dosed through the ETSS skimmers due to the amount of O2 that is injected. They recommend the use of an air dryer. The problem with that is I live in Missouri where the humidity is 80-98% in the summer. I've heard the media is useless after about 3-4 hours in that kind of humidity.

I can't think of any method to get around the humidity issue regardless of your delivery method since air must be pushed or pulled through Corona Discharge Ozone units.. You can however invest in a better air dryer. The drying beed units are the cheap route.

On another note, you should not need to run the ozone 24X7, in fact if controlled by a monitor it may only come on a few hrs per day. Drying beads is easy in the oven and only takes about 15minutes. Having to do it once a week shouldnt be too much of a hassle.

What is your main objective in getting the ozone unit? Are you having a surpluss of nutrients? Do you feel the oxygen saturation in your tank is too low or unstable?

Main objective is to really do all that you mentioned; increase O2, nutrient export (another form besides skimmer), stablize ORP and mainly water clarity. I had an idea also. I have Anthony Calfo's book and he suggest running 2 different skimmers of different technologies. I could always get something like the Coralife skimmer and run ozone through it and also use my ETSS just for skimming. I would like to try and build a counter current skimmer and use the ceramic air stones like Aquatic Eco sells but not sure if my wife will go for a big piece of PVC in our dining room.

Back