Ozone, the good, the bad, and the ugly!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pitlife79

Pitlife79
I was looking around attempting to find information on the use of ozone, but I haven't been able to find much. I have never used ozone on any of my tanks so I am interested in getting peoples input on this. I have heard that it can clear your tank up significantly, but I have also heard that it is unstable. Can anyone elaborate on this for me. What would be the main benefit (other than water clarity) in using it. What (if any) are the possible negative effects on the tank that may occur. Like I stated, I have read that it can be "unstable" but there was no elaboration on this statement. Does ozone give added benefits to all types of corals, or primarily sps? Are there any links on this subject that I'm not seeing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Brent

Boomer will set you straight. In the meantime, check these out:

Hes on vacation for a month, he asked me to help. Well see if I can shed some light.
Is ozone unstable, not in the way you would think. Ozone is o3, the third molecule is unstable. Meaning it easy to get rid of by aeration. Its not the 03 that causes problems its the Bromide thats left behind, basicly bleach. This bromide is easily removed by carbon.

Don

but what if u dont like running carbon in ur systems i know so many people do but im a bit against it in the fact that it removes mopre then just waste from the tank, i do run carbon in my freshwater tanks

but what if u dont like running carbon in ur systems i know so many people do but im a bit against it in the fact that it removes mopre then just waste from the tank, i do run carbon in my freshwater tanks

Its not safe to run ozone without flowing the effluent output over/through carbon. Carbon does not remove enough of anything beneficial to be concerned. As far as I'm concerned the more the better.

Don

The only element that granular activated carbon removes in substantial quantity is Iodine. It's not that big of a deal though. Any seafood or algae based food that we give to our fish contains additional Iodine.

Here's what the AquaC EV Series Skimmer says about ozoning through their skimmer (straight from their product description at MarineDepot):

"the addition of a John Guest fitting is a great feature that can only be found in AquaC ozone-equipped skimmers. A calcium reactor may also be connected. Effluent typically falls between 6.5-6.9, and over time the addition of this low pH effluent can have a deleterious effect on the system's pH level. By dosing the effluent directly into the skimmer, excess CO2 will be "blown off" into the atmosphere and the tank pH will remain unaffected. This is a standard feature on the EV240 and larger models."

I have no idea what this means! Are they talking about dosing ozone or using a calcium reactor?

Both, with the carx the skimmer will help blow off excess co2. With Ozone the skimmer acts as a ozone reactor.

Don

ozone usually breaks down into harmless gas in 20-30 seconds. I have mine flowing through my EV-180 with no carbon and I have no ozone odor at all.

I worry less about the ozone going into the atmosphere than I do about secondary oxidizers making it into the tank. I always recommend running the effluent through carbon.

ozone usually breaks down into harmless gas in 20-30 seconds. I have mine flowing through my EV-180 with no carbon and I have no ozone odor at all.

Like Curt said its not the o3 your concerned with, its the bromide. Skimmer does nothing to help remove bromide.

Don

I have been running ozone at 50mg/hr continousely in my reef for over 25 years with no carbon or controller with no problems yet. Maybe a few more years will change my mind.
Paul

Back