Ozone use....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was assuming that Kevin meant to not use a "T" in that scenario....

You do still use the "t". I have to use a carbon cup because my ozone generator is to big for my skimmer to pull in all the ozone some day I'll get a smaller unit.:)

Don

I was thinking about that, but thought the skimmer efficiency may drop too much......
Yes that's what happend to me so I added the "T" so the skimmer could get some extra air on its own. There was still enough draw to get ozone and air at the same time without leaking any ozone. I placed the "T" right at the skimmer intake.

Regards,
Kevin

I run an EV-240 skimmer powered by a mag 18. I inject ozone directly into the mixing chamber through a John Guest fitting. Simple and no loss of air being supplied to the skimmer. I ran a venturi skimmer before and when injecting ozone in the skimmer I felt I was losing performance.

I wouldn't see a problem with this if all the ozone does get sucked into the skimmer.
I used to run an ASM G1. I loved it. It was very simple and got great results.

If you push a lot of air through your ozone generator, is it possible that to much air will degrade the ozone effect?

Possibly but you dont need to "push" air if its going to a venturi. Moisture is probably the biggest concern.

Don

I did read a thread a long time ago on RC - they claimed that ASM uses inferior plastic in manufacturing and over time by injecting ozone into the skimmer, if I remember right harden the plastic / change the performance of the skimmer. If anyone knows more about the manufactuing of ASM or if this is even true.
ASM still puts out quality products- I gave my G1 to my father in law and he loves it.

I did read a thread a long time ago on RC - they claimed that ASM uses inferior plastic in manufacturing and over time by injecting ozone into the skimmer, if I remember right harden the plastic / change the performance of the skimmer. If anyone knows more about the manufactuing of ASM or if this is even true.
ASM still puts out quality products- I gave my G1 to my father in law and he loves it.

I suck 300mg into my little G3 and have for a little over a year. The extruded acrylic is still clear and not brittle. You can tell if ozone is having effect by the yellowing of the plastic.

Don

I run an ASM G3, can't I have the ozone bubbles get sucked into the water intake of the pump? Would there be any problems with that?
Depending on the materials used for the pump parts (impeller, housing, etc.) the ozone could damage them over time. It's best to contact the mfg. and ask them.

Regards,
Kevin

If you push a lot of air through your ozone generator, is it possible that to much air will degrade the ozone effect?
None at all 100mg/hr is 100mg/hr for example. It will be the contact time with water that is the factor to consider. If you run an ozone reactor tubing type and the tube is too short it will not allow enough contact time with the aquarium water and some of the ozone will escape into the air as the water leaves the reactor. That's the reason for running the outflow over carbon to catch any left over ozone. Running ozone into a skimmer is convenient but almost always results in a small amount of ozone not utilized (escaping) so be sure to run carbon on the skimmer output and over the collection cup air vent.

Regards,
Kevin

Quote:
"If you run an ozone reactor tubing type for and the tube is too short it will not allow enough contact time with the aquarium water and some of the ozone will escape into the air as the water leaves the reactor."

Could you give me your thoughts on various lengths of tubing vs water flow?

Last edited:
Could you give me your thoughts on various lengths of tubing vs water flow?
I'm running 100' of 1" tubing and use a Mag 18. I cannot smell any ozone escaping from the end which is the determining factor. I do not have a formula for figuring out flow verses mg/hr of ozone, length and diameter of pipe

Regards,
Kevin

Why do you personally run ozone?

I run ozone for sparkling water clarity to get maximize light penetration. I remember going to another reefers house to trade some frags. His tank looked crystal clear. He told me when I do water changes to put 5 gallons of tank water into a white bucket and make sure my water is clear. If you see a yellowing color your water quality is off.

Last edited:
Back