• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pacific Sun LED group buy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

PacSun service

this particular design has been in place for about 16-18 months. they started with led tubs (T5 and T8) and moved to modular units and than LED & T5 combos.

flaws? - from Nov 09 to Mar 10 - 2 blown external drivers and to make it more fun - same guy. both replaced in 24hrs in US. Nov 09 units - PAR table and fans control was not working correctly (the higher internal temperature, the higher speed of fans, if temp gets below 'on' value, fans shouldn't be working - newer software fixed both problems.

there are other little things that newer software version fixes or amends and those are "little" things that create less questions - for example: internal "on" switch for the fans will be lowered to 28 degrees in the new software - reason - some thermostats differ between master and slave by 2-3 degrees and people report fans not working. so rather than have people questioning that, new software will lower temp for the on switch.

new models in the future? well... I really don't know. I know that Black Python series will remain in place and if changes are done, they will be to the bulb selection. but you can always expect newer and better led bulbs in the future.

Company seems to provide exellent service. Had a minor problem with fan control and PAR programming on my 2 Black Pythons.
PacSun sends me two new units without me having to return the old ones first...to me thats great and important service since my SPS would suffer severely without light during the periode between me returning and PacSun to ship the new units.

Last edited:
Curious...Do the lights need 100% constant communication to the bluetooth/computer? For example, my computer shuts off to reload and such for software updates and more than likely will lose it's BT connection when that happens. Will this disrupt the calendar cycle for the lights? Can you actively run different weather condition patterns or anything like that?

Any possibility that an iPhone app will be created for the light controls?? That would be soooooooooo sweet!

not sure I understand the question - but you need connection between computer(bluetooth) and the lamp/s only when you make new changes/new commands. no need for constant connection with your computer and nothing gets lost when your computer is down.

the guy writes the software is VB guy so anyone who knows anyone who does small apps for Iphone for living - let me know.

Curious...Do the lights need 100% constant communication to the bluetooth/computer? For example, my computer shuts off to reload and such for software updates and more than likely will lose it's BT connection when that happens. Will this disrupt the calendar cycle for the lights? Can you actively run different weather condition patterns or anything like that?

Any possibility that an iPhone app will be created for the light controls?? That would be soooooooooo sweet!

The LED's do not need constant communication via bluetooth in order to run, thus will not disrupt the date/time nor the calendar or the PAR table.

I thought there was an app developed, but i dont think it would run on an iPhone. Rafal can probably answer that one better

yes and no.

yes - software 5+ is already build towards cellphone apps. see the difference between 3+ and 5+ versions. Leszek is VB guy and Windows running cellphones are taken care of - for example Palm. the problem is Palm cellphones are not popular in US where mkt is dominated by Iphone and Blackberry phones.

the script is done - just need to find it who would write it for Iphone and Blackberry.

I thought there was an app developed, but i dont think it would run on an iPhone. Rafal can probably answer that one better

I will post names after the deadline set by Cy if thats ok with people who paid.

as far as delivery times - just like stated earlier - I would say everything should be in within 2 weeks of the deadline, but some lamps may come earlier with our regular monthly shippment.

BP 160W - these will be earlier. IOs/Phobos/Deimos - I will know on Monday.

Any updates? Quota count? Delivery times?

I will be there on Sunday 4/11 between 12-5 with my 120W LED for those of you who want to come and see it over one of Cy's Tanks!

thanks so much for bringing your light fixture down for us to check out! brad (braddo) + i really appreciated it!

It was my pleasure mercedes! It was great meeting the both of you. I had a blast being down there and showing every one the LED and what it is capable of doing. Brie took some pictures at 23k that are simply incredible if you havent seen them on here yet.

If you guys have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM and i'll do my best to answer them.

Jeff

yes. We will be getting the shipment next Monday or Wed on direct flight to Newark, but IO units will come in 2 weeks. Black Pythons 160W will be available as well as Phobos, Deimos. I will confirm with those who paid once I get the shipping list.

Any good news yet? :D

ok here is something that a lot of you have asked me about it. here are the answers to those questions.

First question - what will happen if one the leds burns out during the warranty or after warranty period?

the answer is very simple:

All CREE units are build in sections that can be replaced. all you need to do is to have the section to replace it. it takes 4 screws.

xplore1.jpg

xplore2.jpg

the answer is very simple:

All CREE units are build in sections that can be replaced. all you need to do is to have the section to replace it. it takes 4 screws.

xplore1.jpg

xplore2.jpg

Okay so if it happens that they go out then how would we obtain that piece. Also, if one goes out, do we have to replace all of them in that section?

during the warranty period - you can send the unit to us or do it yourself and section will be provided at no cost to you. you need metric screwdriver 2.5mm. after the warranty period expires, you would need to purchase the section and it can be done with us or you can install yourself.

I do not have pricing on it yet.

Okay so if it happens that they go out then how would we obtain that piece. Also, if one goes out, do we have to replace all of them in that section?

Last edited:
Back