• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pacific Sun LED group buy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I have sent Pacfic Sun USA (PS) a message about the potential for a group buy and will post as soon as I have more info. You will want to keep a few things in mind when deciding which unit is best for you.

1. You can always dial down the intensity if you purchase a higher watt unit. You can't dial up if you find you didn't order a strong enough unit.

2. The 1W LED units PS sells have very even coverage and have shown good results even over SPS tanks. They produce shimmer lines but not as much as the new 3W Cree units PS offers.

3. If you want better shimmer lines order the 3W Cree units. Most likely they will still not be as distinct as a unit that has clusters of LEDs that are being focused. I'm still waiting to see video of these units. We may order a 3w Cree unit so we can see the difference in shimmer lines compared to Jeff's 1W unit we already got to try out.

4. Each unit is good for roughly a 24"x24" surface area.

Here is the link to more info. We can currently order these units for you at the same prices offered on their site. If we successfully organize a group buy there will obviously be a discount. www.pacificsunusa.com

A link to an aquarium with the 1W units over it for a year. http://www.youtube.com/user/aquariumledu

Finally, there are some issues surrounding LED lighting in the USA that everyone purchasing LED fixtures should be aware of. Many of you are probably aware of them but some may not be. As it relates to the consumer, these issues involve patents and the effect that trying to enforce these patents may have on warranty & domestic service availability. I will share more specific information through PM to those seriously interested in this group buy.

Last edited:
im jumping on the bandwagon. my electric bill is killing my hobby. let me know on the master and slave 160w units.

So will these units have mounting legs so the can sit or would these have to be mounted from the ceiling? Or do these need to be mounted in a canopy? I am very interested but unsure of their design?Several yrs ago i saw a unit that had mounting legs,I believe was manufactured by Solaris,If i can remember right..If these are similar, I am Very Interested! Thanks..Shane

Cy is a bit better informed then I, but i don't believe they offer any type of foot/suspension option. i think you are pertty much on your own for that part. the unit i have seen first hand seemed like it would be easy to get a hanging kit or "L" bracket it into a hood. we will post more when we know for sure.......

So will these units have mounting legs so the can sit or would these have to be mounted from the ceiling? Or do these need to be mounted in a canopy? I am very interested but unsure of their design?Several yrs ago i saw a unit that had mounting legs,I believe was manufactured by Solaris,If i can remember right..If these are similar, I am Very Interested! Thanks..Shane

Just speaking cause I own the 120W units, they come with hanging kits

Cy,

I hope you dont mind and I will provide a few answers to most common questions.

1) units come with a hanging kit. but if someone wishes to purchase legs - please indicate that choice and there will be additional fee for the legs but also discount for not taking the hanging kit. the picture below shows legs and legs on IO unit:

mountingkit.jpg

and legs on IO unit:

iomountingkit.jpg

Last edited:
both 1W and 3W units have 24V going to the unit from the external driver. the design of the lamp is as on the picture below:

cree5.jpg

lamps come with standard settings. 11am sunrise, 16k temp, 23:00 sunset. in order to unlock full potential of the lamp you would need to have PC with a bluetooth. suggestion - please have external one and use Windows XP or 7. Mac users - as long as you have access to Virtual Windows - you will be able to run the software. as far as external bluetooth - this one is cheap and also transfers binary files firmware updates. link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0287920

Controlling software is available to download from European site: www.aquariumled.eu

warranty in US - 18 months and it looks like there will be someone handling emergency issues on west coast.

Last edited:
Selecting the lamp that will fit your needs. each tank is different and each has different needs. think about what you have and if not sure - ask. I will help based on my knowledge and explain why certain choices would be better or worse in regard to Pacific Sun only.

All units come with 120 degree focal lenses. if you wish to have focal lenses on your unit, it can be added at extra cost - 3W units only. Focal lenses used would have 93% efficiency and brand is LEDIL link to their site: http://www.ledil.fi/

LED bulb selection on 1W units is 50:50 whites versus blues.
LED bulb selection on 3W units is 50:50 - 28 XP-G, 18 XP-E 500mV, 8 XP-E 475mV

PAR data on 3W units with 120 degree focal lenses:

BP160W-70.jpg

Rafal,

Feel free to post any info or answer any questions you would like. I'm scouring the other sites where you guys discussed things to try and catch up but your help here would be great! Just email or PM that pricing when you have it ready and we will get it posted.

Back