• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pacific Sun LED group buy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tom - see post # 19 for the PAR table and spread at 29" for 160W unit. it covers 5 squares that equals to 100cm around 40" with the PAR of at least 140 at that height.

Sample display - tank size: 35"x25"x30" lamp: 160W CREE about 30" from the sandbad. no focal lenses used. even spread in the tank without light beam effect.

cr160.jpg

Whats the light spread like with these units? For instance would a single unit suffice for my 36" tank?

Tom

Tom - see post # 19 for the PAR table and spread at 29" for 160W unit. it covers 5 squares that equals to 100cm around 40" with the PAR of at least 140 at that height.

Sample display - tank size: 35"x25"x30" lamp: 160W CREE about 30" from the sandbad. no focal lenses used. even spread in the tank without light beam effect.

cr160.jpg

Am I understanding this right? One 160W unit can sufficiently light a 30" deep 110g tank? SPS and all?

for that cube tank with dimensions 35x25x30 - one 160W unit is ideal. for more standard US tank sizes like 48" long - one 160W wouldnt do the trick.

Am I understanding this right? One 160W unit can sufficiently light a 30" deep 110g tank? SPS and all?

for that cube tank with dimensions 35x25x30 - one 160W unit is ideal. for more standard US tank sizes like 48" long - one 160W wouldnt do the trick.

so a master and a slave correct? with the focal lenses, this increases the par correct?

One of my tank's dimensions is 36x18x24 and I would love to have LED's for this. The only problem is I have a cross brace going right down the middle of the tank. I know I can get rid of it but that scares the beegees out of me; so I am hoping that you guys might have a split master/slave unit that I can put one on each side of the brace. Anything like that?

do you think with the focal lense, on a 24in depth, will you be able to grow any clams on the sand floor?

in your case - I would go with two IO units. yes, a little bit more expensive, but at the same time it would give you an option to play with different color temperature on each side of the tank.

One of my tank's dimensions is 36x18x24 and I would love to have LED's for this. The only problem is I have a cross brace going right down the middle of the tank. I know I can get rid of it but that scares the beegees out of me; so I am hoping that you guys might have a split master/slave unit that I can put one on each side of the brace. Anything like that?

in your case - I would go with two IO units. yes, a little bit more expensive, but at the same time it would give you an option to play with different color temperature on each side of the tank.

That is a really cool idea! I never thought about the possibilities of having two different settings on either side. Any cost quotes at all?

Cy will make an announcement about it shortly. He is working hard to get best possible prices.

That is a really cool idea! I never thought about the possibilities of having two different settings on either side. Any cost quotes at all?

I would not use any focal lenses on 24" tank with CREE units. there is no need for it. at 29" depth - you have over 200 PAR.

I would go with focal lenses in two cases:

1) thin tank 18" and you worry about light spillage and space above the tank to raise light fixture.

2) you have a deep tank 30" plus and you keep high light demanding corals on the bottom of your tank.

do you think with the focal lense, on a 24in depth, will you be able to grow any clams on the sand floor?

My system is SPS dominate. Do you have any before and after pics of SPS growth in a system that is dominated by them and lit solely by LEDs? So how many units would one need for a tank with a FP of 72''x36''x24'' with the LEDs suspended about 16-17'' from the water surface? If I sell my current lighting set-up I might be able to afford a master and a slave HMMMMMMMM. This would dramaitacally save on my powerbill and lamp replacement cost!

Last edited:
72" tank - master and slave unit only - tough call - and it depends on your aquascaping. if per say you have 2 islands where corals are located - than yes. if you have corals in the center of the tank and sides are empty - than yes. I mean - it really depends on your aquascaping. there is a way to do it, but it depends on your tank.

SPS growth before and after question: best documented example that I have seen about the growth is from "snocho":

here is the link:

http://www.nano-reef.pl/forums.php?m=posts&q=22700&d=120

bottom part of that page, you can find pics from Sept 5th, Sept 19th and Nov 1st.

also, videos posted earlier in this thread are videos of a tank that is in public place with 120W units on sides and 90W in the middle. By public place I mean that any person is able to see the tank and corals any time - it is a LFS display tank.

as far as some people from US - bunch of people from MR who have the ligths from Nov 09 and have not seen complains of SPS not growing under 1W :)

My system is SPS dominate. Do you have any before and after pics of SPS growth in a system that is dominated by them and lit solely by LEDs? So how many units would one need for a tank with a FP of 72''x36''x24'' with the LEDs suspended about 16-17'' from the water surface? If I sell my current lighting set-up I might be able to afford a master and a slave HMMMMMMMM. This would dramaitacally save on my powerbill and lamp replacement cost!

Last edited:
72" tank - master and slave unit only - tough call - and it depends on your aquascaping. if per say you have 2 islands where corals are located - than yes. if you have corals in the center of the tank and sides are empty - than yes. I mean - it really depends on your aquascaping. there is a way to do it, but it depends on your tank.

SPS growth before and after question: best documented example that I have seen about the growth is from "snocho":

here is the link:

http://www.nano-reef.pl/forums.php?m=posts&q=22700&d=120

bottom part of that page, you can find pics from Sept 5th, Sept 19th and Nov 1st.

also, videos posted earlier in this thread are videos of a tank that is in public place with 120W units on sides and 90W in the middle. By public place I mean that any person is able to see the tank and corals any time - it is a LFS display tank.

as far as some people from US - bunch of people from MR who have the ligths from Nov 09 and have not seen complains of SPS not growing under 1W :)

Thanks for the quick response. I am on MA now and reading through the bazzillion pages. I am pretty impressed by it thus far from the little info I have gathered. How long have these units been out in Europe and has there been any flaws if at all? Is there any new improvements being implemented on a possible newer model in the next couple years? The reason I ask is I'm not 100% sold on LEDs as of yet but am impressed by my research on them. The power consumption is a big selling point for me but just a little leary on what LEDs are really capable of at this time.

Yes all....Rafal, myself, and the distributor have been working to get the best possible deals for you guys. I should have pricing figured out by late Thursday. Sorry for the delay. I'm just trying to get a good grip on all the information before I put it in writing here on RF.

Sounds like one thing is for sure. The CREE 75W IO unit is going to be around $749.99 down from 899.99. If we hit 20 units total in the group buy shipping to our store will be free.

I am trying to get a display unit in time for the sale. Not sure if its going to work out yet or not. Jeff (dolphinlvr) has been kind enough to agree to bring his unit out to the shop to show it off. We are just trying to decide which day/time is going to work best.

Here is a few pics of my DT. Tell me what you would do.

IMG_4037.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4074.jpg

this particular design has been in place for about 16-18 months. they started with led tubs (T5 and T8) and moved to modular units and than LED & T5 combos.

flaws? - from Nov 09 to Mar 10 - 2 blown external drivers and to make it more fun - same guy. both replaced in 24hrs in US. Nov 09 units - PAR table and fans control was not working correctly (the higher internal temperature, the higher speed of fans, if temp gets below 'on' value, fans shouldn't be working - newer software fixed both problems.

there are other little things that newer software version fixes or amends and those are "little" things that create less questions - for example: internal "on" switch for the fans will be lowered to 28 degrees in the new software - reason - some thermostats differ between master and slave by 2-3 degrees and people report fans not working. so rather than have people questioning that, new software will lower temp for the on switch.

new models in the future? well... I really don't know. I know that Black Python series will remain in place and if changes are done, they will be to the bulb selection. but you can always expect newer and better led bulbs in the future.

Thanks for the quick response. I am on MA now and reading through the bazzillion pages. I am pretty impressed by it thus far from the little info I have gathered. How long have these units been out in Europe and has there been any flaws if at all? Is there any new improvements being implemented on a possible newer model in the next couple years? The reason I ask is I'm not 100% sold on LEDs as of yet but am impressed by my research on them. The power consumption is a big selling point for me but just a little leary on what LEDs are really capable of at this time.

Last edited:
Back