• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pacific Sun LED group buy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

if you are confused - PM me or call me. LEDs are not confusing if you can figure out what you want and formulate questions that should be asked:

a) is the unit running any cooling system to protect LED bulbs and their longevity? if yes, is it 24hrs non stop or controllable based on needs?

b) does the unit have correct whites vs blues bulb selection so you can enjoy the light?

c) is the unit powered according to led bulb specs? (what i mean by that is that some LED companies advertise 3W led bulb but in reality if you look at the specs or wattage consumption is much less)

d) are the lamps controllable to your liking and needs?

e) have you seen or able to find example of tanks running under LEDs and people being happy with their units for more than 2 weeks? for example i have not seen too many SPS tanks with 40 degree focal lenses units unless led fixtures were 2-3 feet above the tank.

f) does the unit have led bulbs that you feel comfortable with?

g) driver efficiency?

h) focal lenses efficiency?

i) is the electronic component of the lamp protected against corrosion?

j) are LED bulbs and LED PCB board protected against corrosion and salt water environment?

and few more... but you get the point that not everyone is looking that way. there are some LED lamps that people change LED bulbs week after they bought units - well, do the math see if it doesnt make sense to spend more money in the beginning?

as far as prices coming down - yes and no. yes - prices will come down on older led bulbs, but CREE will come with newer leds and still charge premium. just like LCD TVs - sure you can get 42" under $800 but SONY Bravia still costs much more than $800.

when you pay top $$$ for the light fixture - it shouldn't be a popularity contest, but rather decision made based on some hard facts and understanding what you get and what you want.

ahh..I see...These fixtures do have me a bit confused...But I am very Interested...Nervous at the same time.It looks like alot of new fixtures are being introduced from what I am reading..I just want to make the right choice for me..I run 20k xm bulbs and prefer a more blue look in my tank..My Corals thrive...The heat issue and bulb replacement is why I am looking to switch...Along with power consumption!

Last edited:
Pacific Sun LED Lighting Group Buy Pricing

Fixtures Using 1 Watt LED Bulbs
90W BT EX Unit Master $819.99
90W BT EX Unit Slave $709.99
120W BT EX Unit Master $975.99
120W BT EX Unit Slave $829.99
PM Me For 1W Phobos & Deimos Pricing & Availability

Fixtures Using 3 Watt CREE LED Bulbs
75W IO BT EX All Master Units $749.99
160W BT EX Unit Master $1099.99
160W BT EX Unit Salve $929.99
Phobos 2x160W + 2x39W $2499.99
Phobos 2x160W + 2x54W $2699.99
Deimos 3x160W + 2x80W $2999.99

-All items come with standard hanging kits. Upgrade to legs is at an extra cost and should be indicated on your order. Switching out the hanging kit for legs adds $35.

-All units come with standard settings. In order to unlock full potential of the lamp, buyer needs to download controlling software from a website indicated with your order.

-If you wish to add focal lenses – there is additional charge for it.

-Slave Units include a free connecting cable to link with Master Units ($40 value).

-All components covered by an 18 month warranty. Pacific Sun is currently negotiating with an outfit to provide service on the west coast.

-Free software updates are provided periodically.

-We cannot predict when the Manufacturer will be able to fill our order but expect 3-4 weeks after final payment is made. First lamps will be available around April 15-20th for those who wish to purchase them right away.

-If we reach 20 units in the group buy shipping is free.

-If we sell 30 or more the manufacturer and US Distributor may give us a little better price.

-We will be displaying a 1W Bulb 120W unit sometime in the next few weeks thanks to Jeff (DolphinLVR). I’ll post the date and time as soon as we iron out the details.

Compare to MAP pricing here: http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productCart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=394

Last edited:
Ok so I am also confused. I have three 250 watt single end halides over my 210. Same dimensions as a 180 but 30" tall instead of 24"

What would be equivilent? Do I have to go with the 3w? If 1w will be equally as intense As 250w halides then I wouldn't need the 3w.

Any suggestions? I am open to a unit with t-5, master
and slaves, or three of the 75w units.

If three 75w units were all on the same tank, would Bluetooth automatically adjust all three to the same specs or would each one have to be programed individually?

Height of your tank 30" - I would suggest 3W.

Options:

1) 3 IO units - each unit must be programmed individually. If you have mix reef tank - you will be fine with 3 IO. Pros - you can have different light temp on each side of the tank - for example 16k on left, 18k in the middle, 21k on right. Cons - each unit must be promgrammed individually.

2) BP 160W - master and slave or master and 2 slaves - if you have grown SPS that need light. depending on your aquascaping you may either go with 2 or 3 units.

3) Deimos - 60" unit. combine LED and T5. expensive. both of the best worlds.

Ok so I am also confused. I have three 250 watt single end halides over my 210. Same dimensions as a 180 but 30" tall instead of 24"

What would be equivilent? Do I have to go with the 3w? If 1w will be equally as intense As 250w halides then I wouldn't need the 3w.

Any suggestions? I am open to a unit with t-5, master
and slaves, or three of the 75w units.

If three 75w units were all on the same tank, would Bluetooth automatically adjust all three to the same specs or would each one have to be programed individually?

this the unit I was reffering to:

http://pacificsunusa.com/?page_id=507

let me check if 140 is the typo and should be 160 or if the 60" Deimos have 3 led panels simply a little bit smaller.

I really like the idea of being able to supplement with pinks, which are also controllable.

Would this work?

http://pacificsunusa.com/?page_id=145

OR would it have to be this one:
http://pacificsunusa.com/?page_id=507

I have SOME sps but mostly LPS and zoas.

Also, was there a price established for the most expensive unit? The 160 deimos? I see the deimos 140 is 2999.99

any further discounts if you get a master and slave at the same time of purchase? when do you need the money so i can allocate the funds?

talk to CY about any other discounts and payment dates. I know that those who pay early and want their units earlier - it will be possible to have units in 2 weeks.

any further discounts if you get a master and slave at the same time of purchase? when do you need the money so i can allocate the funds?

Pacific Sun LED Lighting Group Buy Pricing

Fixtures Using 1 Watt LED Bulbs
90W BT EX Unit Master $819.99
90W BT EX Unit Slave $709.99
120W BT EX Unit Master $975.99
120W BT EX Unit Slave $829.99
PM Me For 1W Phobos & Deimos Pricing & Availability

Fixtures Using 3 Watt CREE LED Bulbs
75W IO BT EX All Master Units $749.99
160W BT EX Unit Master $1099.99
160W BT EX Unit Salve $929.99
Phobos 2x160W + 2x39W $2499.99
Phobos 2x160W + 2x54W $2699.99
Deimos 3x140W + 2x80W $2999.99

I don't mean to be cynical, but even if we had 20 units at the cheapest price option...that's $15,000 in equipment. We have to reach $15k just to get free shipping? I'm still looking for a deal... Even the Aqua Illuminations units are fully adjustable and programable and they are MUCH less expensive. I could easily be missing something here, but this is what I am thinking.

A) If you believe AI is cheaper - please show the math based on Wattage or per bulb cost for someone who has 48" or 72" tank.

b) also - review functionality of AI controller (you need to buy one on top the light fixture) with the software of PS. in order to get full AI functionality you need Profilux.

I don't mean to be cynical, but even if we had 20 units at the cheapest price option...that's $15,000 in equipment. We have to reach $15k just to get free shipping? I'm still looking for a deal... Even the Aqua Illuminations units are fully adjustable and programable and they are MUCH less expensive. I could easily be missing somehting here, but this is what I am thinking.

A) If you believe AI is cheaper - please show the math based on Wattage or per bulb cost for someone who has 48" or 72" tank.

b) also - review functionality of AI controller (you need to buy one on top the light fixture) with the software of PS. in order to get full AI functionality you need Profilux.

Okay, so this is what I am looking at and please forgive me for not knowing everything about LED lighting; at the moment I rely on you folks to help with that.
http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3501

That link is for the AI unit that I was told would account for the replacement of a 250w MH bulb and supplement lighting. So no need for T-5 or moonlights and such since the unit will do it all...of course I still don't fully believe that. Now, it states that you can control sunrise/sunset cycles and kelvin ratings/intensity and such, which "I" define as fully programable, so I don't understand the need for any Profilux. I am comparing your product and this and am seeing the price and still not coming to a conclusion that your expense (even discounted) is worth the value. Again, I could easliy be misunderstanding or leaving out options that your product has that could easily account for the additional expense and validate the value. I guess that's where I am hoping you can help me fill in the gaps. Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance!

Okay, so this is what I am looking at and please forgive me for not knowing everything about LED lighting; at the moment I rely on you folks to help with that.

That link is for the AI unit that I was told would account for the replacement of a 250w MH bulb and supplement lighting. So no need for T-5 or moonlights and such since the unit will do it all...of course I still don't fully believe that. Now, it states that you can control sunrise/sunset cycles and kelvin ratings/intensity and such, which "I" define as fully programable, so I don't understand the need for any Profilux. I am comparing your product and this and am seeing the price and still not coming to a conclusion that your expense (even discounted) is worth the value. Again, I could easliy be misunderstanding or leaving out options that your product has that could easily account for the additional expense and validate the value. I guess that's where I am hoping you can help me fill in the gaps. Sorry for the novel and thanks in advance!

I have read quite a bit about the AI unit, so I'm going to chime in here to try and answer.

The AI unit will work perfectly fine using the controller that comes with it. However, the controller is pretty simple in that you can adjust intensity of blue & white leds, control sunrise/sunset cycles (although pretty limited to how much control you have over the cycles), and not much else.

In order to have programmability that compares to the pacific sun unit here, you'd have to add the profilux controller to "unlock" the full potential, such as changing lighting intensity during the day, adjusting the length of the sunrise/sunset cycles, simulating storms, mimicing lunar cycles, etc. From the limited amount of reading I've done on the pacific sun units, it appears the software you use via windows/bluetooth provides pretty much all the bells & whistles you'd get from the AI unit with the profilux controller.

Simply put, the AI unit without the profilux controller is not an apples to apples comparison to the pacific sun unit.

The profilux controller appears to be quite spendy. Although if you bought one, you'd get other functionality too, such as ability to control vortechs, probes, etc, etc.

One plus I would see with the AI unit is you could go w/o the profilux controller to start, and then add the profilux controller later when funds allow...

Hopefully I've provided somewhat accurate info here, as it's all based on what I've read and not on actual experience with either units.

HTH,

Rob

hey rafal07013,
do you think i can use 2 X 75W IO BT EX All Master Units on a standard 90 gallon and will be good enough for sps on the live rock and a clam on the sandbed?
i was taking a look at my current setup and i have 2 lumenarcs over each side of the 90 gallon. i also have the return pipe that goes down the middle brace connected to 2 seaswirls that i dont want to dismantle. i will secure these units inside the canopy because i want to hide all the plumbing associated with the seaswirl attachments. this leads me to my next question, can these units be inside a canopy? Are the units somewhat moisture resistant to be inside a canopy due the humidity?

I have read quite a bit about the AI unit, so I'm going to chime in here to try and answer.

The AI unit will work perfectly fine using the controller that comes with it. However, the controller is pretty simple in that you can adjust intensity of blue & white leds, control sunrise/sunset cycles (although pretty limited to how much control you have over the cycles), and not much else.

In order to have programmability that compares to the pacific sun unit here, you'd have to add the profilux controller to "unlock" the full potential, such as changing lighting intensity during the day, adjusting the length of the sunrise/sunset cycles, simulating storms, mimicing lunar cycles, etc. From the limited amount of reading I've done on the pacific sun units, it appears the software you use via windows/bluetooth provides pretty much all the bells & whistles you'd get from the AI unit with the profilux controller.

Simply put, the AI unit without the profilux controller is not an apples to apples comparison to the pacific sun unit.

The profilux controller appears to be quite spendy. Although if you bought one, you'd get other functionality too, such as ability to control vortechs, probes, etc, etc.

One plus I would see with the AI unit is you could go w/o the profilux controller to start, and then add the profilux controller later when funds allow...

Hopefully I've provided somewhat accurate info here, as it's all based on what I've read and not on actual experience with either units.

HTH,

Rob

Actually, well explained and I thank you very much for that! Since you clearly know much more about the AI unit than I do; do you know if you can hook two of those AI units together and have them working together like the PS units? Normally I would inquire so much about another product in a thread not about that product, but I feel it is a relatable query in this case.

all I want to make sure we compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

AI unit consists of 24 3W CREE LED bulbs at the price of $629 that translates into $26.20 per bulb. I assume we can agree on it.

Lets take Black Python 160W that consists of 54 3W CREE LED bulbs at the price of $1099.99 that translates into $20.35 per bulb. I assume we can agree on it. (if you take avg price of master and slave of $1014.99 and divide by 54 led bulbs = $19.44 per LED bulb)

where you are correct is the fact that IO priced at $749.99 that consists of 26W LED CREE bulbs equals to $28.84 per bulb.

I am not taking into consideration any other differences between the units - just per LED bulb cost.

I hope it helps and clears out the air on pricing and my approach to it. I think comparison per Watt or per LED bulb is the best one since there will be people who will always say that extra stuff are not needed etc, etc, etc.

two IO units will be more than enough for your tank and at first you would need to go slowly and start at 50% - trust me, otherwise you will burn your corals.

IO units as well as any other PS unit have internal cooling system and fans. as long as you have a space between the top of canopy and the unit for air to travel - you will be fine. just leave a few inches. the electronic circuit board has corrosion protected material on it.

hey rafal07013,
do you think i can use 2 X 75W IO BT EX All Master Units on a standard 90 gallon and will be good enough for sps on the live rock and a clam on the sandbed?
i was taking a look at my current setup and i have 2 lumenarcs over each side of the 90 gallon. i also have the return pipe that goes down the middle brace connected to 2 seaswirls that i dont want to dismantle. i will secure these units inside the canopy because i want to hide all the plumbing associated with the seaswirl attachments. this leads me to my next question, can these units be inside a canopy? Are the units somewhat moisture resistant to be inside a canopy due the humidity?

all I want to make sure we compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges.

AI unit consists of 24 3W CREE LED bulbs at the price of $629 that translates into $26.20 per bulb. I assume we can agree on it.

Lets take Black Python 160W that consists of 54 3W CREE LED bulbs at the price of $1099.99 that translates into $20.35 per bulb. I assume we can agree on it. (if you take avg price of master and slave of $1014.99 and divide by 54 led bulbs = $19.44 per LED bulb)

where you are correct is the fact that IO priced at $749.99 that consists of 26W LED CREE bulbs equals to $28.84 per bulb.

I am not taking into consideration any other differences between the units - just per LED bulb cost.

I hope it helps and clears out the air on pricing and my approach to it. I think comparison per Watt or per LED bulb is the best one since there will be people who will always say that extra stuff are not needed etc, etc, etc.

Okay, thank you for helping me understand all of this. To make sure that I am planning apporiately, please help me understand which unit of yours I would need. You said earlier, because of my middle brace in my 65g, that I would use two units (a master and a slave) to light my tank. I still really dig the idea of having the ability to control the kelvin temps on either side and am stoked thinking about the idea of having storms and such cool effects. Would the 75w units be the right ones for me? Again my tank is 36x18x24.

Back