• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pacific Sun LED group buy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Actually, well explained and I thank you very much for that! Since you clearly know much more about the AI unit than I do; do you know if you can hook two of those AI units together and have them working together like the PS units? Normally I would inquire so much about another product in a thread not about that product, but I feel it is a relatable query in this case.

I believe 2 AI units would operate independently from each other, unless connected to a profilux controller, in which case they would be controlled as one.

what would I do if I were you? I would ask myself - am I going to upgrade anytime within next 3-4-5 years to a bigger tank? if yes, what tank size you have in mind? 90g? 120g? 180g? if less than 120g (48" long) than two IO will do the job. if you think about 72" than I would go with 160W master from the beginning and keep an eye on the future.

I know you will say what about the center brace - and I will say - got to live with it :) but 160W has 120 degree internal spread angels and you will be fine. is this perfect solution? - no, it is not.

so think about the future - with your tank size - two IO are a little overkill and you will realize it once you have units in hand.

Okay, thank you for helping me understand all of this. To make sure that I am planning apporiately, please help me understand which unit of yours I would need. You said earlier, because of my middle brace in my 65g, that I would use two units (a master and a slave) to light my tank. I still really dig the idea of having the ability to control the kelvin temps on either side and am stoked thinking about the idea of having storms and such cool effects. Would the 75w units be the right ones for me? Again my tank is 36x18x24.

Last edited:
thanks for your insight rafal07013,
congrats on the newborn late last year too. ive been reading the forums on mahattan reefs i came across your name. im amazed of the lighting these units produce, even for corals on the sand floor.
so in your opinion, does the 160W BT EX Unit Master look bad on a standard 90 gallon due tothe shadow made by the brace or should i go with the 2 X 75watters IO units.
i got the blessings from my wife last night for a early birthday present even tho my birthday's in september, so i want to make sure this purchase is an all end to holy 'lighting' grail for me.

thank you - some people are doing their homework - I am glad to see it. Little Jack is doing well.

as far as "holy grail of lighting" - it is close but two or three tricks are missing in order for me to be the holy grail of lighting.

1) lighting and thunder effect - I was promised that it will come with new software release. you get cloud effect with PAR table, but not thunder and lighting yet.

2) moving moonlight from left to right

3) being able to control sun light movement from left to right

your situation - same as the other guy - two IO will be more than enough for 90g tank. but 160W would be better if you are thinking about upgrading your tank in some near future.

thanks for your insight rafal07013,
congrats on the newborn late last year too. ive been reading the forums on mahattan reefs i came across your name. im amazed of the lighting these units produce, even for corals on the sand floor.
so in your opinion, does the 160W BT EX Unit Master look bad on a standard 90 gallon due tothe shadow made by the brace or should i go with the 2 X 75watters IO units.
i got the blessings from my wife last night for a early birthday present even tho my birthday's in september, so i want to make sure this purchase is an all end to holy 'lighting' grail for me.

Ok...so after reading thru many of your replies..I want to be clear what will work for me..For my 48" tank,Which I have no plans of ever going bigger,Two of the 3watt IO units will work for me. One unit will be the master and one will be the slave,although,each unit will have to be controlled seperatly?These units can be purchased to include mounting leggs rather than the hanging units..With this purchase I can be confident that lighting upgrades will not be thought about with this set up for a very long time!!

48" - two IO units will be more than enough. Both units will need to be controlled separately. yes, hanging kits can be replaced with legs for an extra fee.

You would need focal lenses for tanks deeper than 30". please make sure you use windows XP or 7 and external bluetooth works better.

Ok...so after reading thru many of your replies..I want to be clear what will work for me..For my 48" tank,Which I have no plans of ever going bigger,Two of the 3watt IO units will work for me. One unit will be the master and one will be the slave,although,each unit will have to be controlled seperatly?These units can be purchased to include mounting leggs rather than the hanging units..With this purchase I can be confident that lighting upgrades will not be thought about with this set up for a very long time!!

48" - two IO units will be more than enough. Both units will need to be controlled separately. yes, hanging kits can be replaced with legs for an extra fee.

You would need focal lenses for tanks deeper than 30". please make sure you use windows XP or 7 and external bluetooth works better.

Need to be operated separately? Is that just due to the length of the connection cord?(not being long enough??)

IO - controlled separately. when you have a bluetooth and IO - bluetooth will see two separate bluetooth devices. so you login to the first one and make changes, than you disconnect and connect to the next one and make changes.

when you have master and slave unit - they are connected together via a cable and slave will follow a master. see master slave connections:

master_slave.jpg

Need to be operated separately? Is that just due to the length of the connection cord?(not being long enough??)

not correct - on your PC - your Bluetooth will see 2 devices - you login to one to make changes, you disconnect, and than login to the other device and you make changes. device = lamp

in master/slave combination - bluetooth will see only ONE device and once you make changes on master, slave will follow the master.

my understanding is they would need a seperate controller to operate the two units as one....(I hope thats right)

not correct - on your PC - your Bluetooth will see 2 devices - you login to one to make changes, you disconnect, and than login to the other device and you make changes. device = lamp

in master/slave combination - bluetooth will see only ONE device and once you make changes on master, slave will follow the master.

Okay, so what you are saying is that he would not NEED to have two IO units. A master and slave would work...? I probably misunderstood but I thought you were saying that on a 48" he would HAVE to have two IO units in order to work.

...I think I am confusing myself, sorry.

on 48" tank - if you are not planning on upgrading 2 IO units will fine.

on 48" tank if you are planning on upgrading to a bigger tank - I would go with master/slave combination.

I hope it helps and clears any confusion.

Okay, so what you are saying is that he would not NEED to have two IO units. A master and slave would work...? I probably misunderstood but I thought you were saying that on a 48" he would HAVE to have two IO units in order to work.

...I think I am confusing myself, sorry.

on 48" tank if you are planning on upgrading to a bigger tank - I would go with master/slave combination.

Are you recommending this solely on a simplified programming point of view?
Are you implying that larger 120+ gallon tanks also tend to be deeper and therefore require the 90w\160w light at a minimum?

That makes sense now. Is there no master and slave combo in the 75w design?

Back