• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pacific Sun LED group buy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

also - personal favor - once you guys get the lights - I will ask you if you can post pics of your tank and your expirience with the lamps on the new site that is being build right now. almost like customers tanks gallery.

also - personal favor - once you guys get the lights - I will ask you if you can post pics of your tank and your expirience with the lamps on the new site that is being build right now. almost like customers tanks gallery.

I know I will also periodically post the power savings too. My wife is requiring that I keep track of just how much this is saving power wise...in order to calculate the payback period...yeah...and I AM THE BANKER?!?! Not in my house I'm not...

they may be releasing some new stuff every year so we can always wait for something better. 5W CREE bulbs are available online right now - i just have not seen anyone coming up with sufficient cooling system, internal driver and bulb selection for right color.

See.... this is exactly why I am holding out. I have heard of the 5w cree LED lamps. I know you say this is a limited edition piece but once that hit the market others will follow.

I am not into the savings per say and crazy calculations and arguments about savings - but what I will tell you - get the right color temperature and you will see stuff in your tank that you have never seen before and this is priceless to me.

I know I will also periodically post the power savings too. My wife is requiring that I keep track of just how much this is saving power wise...in order to calculate the payback period...yeah...and I AM THE BANKER?!?! Not in my house I'm not...

5W CREE bulbs are available online right now - i just have not seen anyone coming up with sufficient cooling system, internal driver and bulb selection for right color.

Looks like you guys already figured that problem out then since you are releasing these limited units?

even with the red housing :) does this mean that 5W is better? anyone had corals under 5W?

Not saying it is better but for people that want or like to mount thier lighting higher say 18'' or above. The 5w LED would have better PAR deeper into the tank. If I mounted my current lighting lower than I have now I can get away with 250s instead of 400w halides that I am running now. I hope that better explains what I was conveying. I never said that anyone has corals under the 5w LEDs. I don't understand that smart question but who ever thought that LEDs could grow corals 10 years ago? The hobby is evolving rapidly as of late. I would think you would know weather or not if anyone has had the 5w LEDs over corals since the company you are representing is offering it for sale as a "limited edition". So are you saying that the 5w LEDs that the company is offering as a limited edition was never tested on a reef tank?

ok, lets go from the beginning. 5W leds used are the same XP-G(139lm/w) that are used right now in 3W line with a difference that you can drive them at 1.5A with a correct cooling - as far as cooling - wait for my next post to see the difference between PS and ANY LED fixture you want to compare it with. Blue ones 5W XP-E bin D16 with 500-575mW from each 1W. Why limited edition? Because it is hard to get those specific bulbs. I really don't want to argue about your approach - it is your decision nor I am responsible for what they offer. will leds evolve in the next 12 months? yes, they will. and I can tell you honestly that knowing Przemek for the last 18 months - if CREE comes up next month with new bulb that he will think will be better - next time he orders led panel - new bulbs will be in. so if you want to wait - simply wait.

Not saying it is better but for people that want or like to mount thier lighting higher say 18'' or above. The 5w LED would have better PAR deeper into the tank. If I mounted my current lighting lower than I have now I can get away with 250s instead of 400w halides that I am running now. I hope that better explains what I was conveying. I never said that anyone has corals under the 5w LEDs. I don't understand that smart question but who ever thought that LEDs could grow corals 10 years ago? The hobby is evolving rapidly as of late. I would think you would know weather or not if anyone has had the 5w LEDs over corals since the company you are representing is offering it for sale as a "limited edition". So are you saying that the 5w LEDs that the company is offering as a limited edition was never tested on a reef tank?

Last edited:
ok, lets go from the beginning. 5W leds used are the same XP-G(139lm/w) that are used right now in 3W line with a difference that you can drive them at 1.5A with a correct cooling - as far as cooling - wait for my next post to see the difference between PS and ANY LED fixture you want to compare it with. Blue ones 5W XP-E bin D16 with 500-575mW from each 1W. Why limited edition? Because it is hard to get those specific bulbs. I really don't want to argue about your approach - it is your decision nor I am responsible for what they offer. will leds evolve in the next 12 months? yes, they will. and I can tell you honestly that knowing Przemek for the last 18 months - if CREE comes up next month with new bulb that he will think will be better - next time he orders led panel - new bulbs will be in. so if you want to wait - simply wait.

So am I understanding it right that the 3W bulbs are the same as the 5W but is just powered by a different driver?

I'm not trying to compare it with any other LED fixture. PS looks to be a great product. I'm just saying for my application and others alike. Just as other lighting applications depending on the height it is mounted and what kind of corals you are wanting to care for you would have to appropiately match the lighting intensity to the height of the fixture is being mounted thus with me having my halides at 17'' above the water line the 250s was just not getting enough light towards the middle to bottom of the tank so I had to switch to 400s and now my SPS has colored up nicely.

thats why you have to look at the right type of focal lenses. 3W cree at 100% power at 29" have over 200 PAR. I have a guy in NYC who has similar situation to yours and he went with 80 degree focal lenses since he wants leds about 15" the water. you have to understand your needs and creater leds towards your needs.

now, as I said earlier - you have a good point and I can tell you with 100% believe - if CREE will come with newer bulbs in 3 months and the guy who makes the lamps - he will put the new ones in. He wants to have the best current lamp on the mkt.

I'm not trying to compare it with any other LED fixture. PS looks to be a great product. I'm just saying for my application and others alike. Just as other lighting applications depending on the height it is mounted and what kind of corals you are wanting to care for you would have to appropiately match the lighting intensity to the height of the fixture is being mounted thus with me having my halides at 17'' above the water line the 250s was just not getting enough light towards the middle to bottom of the tank so I had to switch to 400s and now my SPS has colored up nicely.

I am not that good - but I will get you an answer to it. you have to remember there is internal driver and external driver (power supply).

So then, theoretically, if we ever wanted to upgrade to 5W then we would just have to change and driver? (looking for the angle here)

I am not that good - but I will get you an answer to it. you have to remember there is internal driver and external driver (power supply).

Yes I do understand that, but the external is the easy part(un-plug/plug-in) and usually the lesser expense. Hopefully if the drivers can be somewhat easily replaced then it wouldn't be too hard to upgrade in the future.

With a 65g tank I really think 2 IO units will be massive and very much overkill at full power, so I really don't expect to need to upgrade anytime soon.

in my opinion two IOs on your tank is a little bit too much. give me two mintues and I will post some pics that you may want to see. just trying to translate from polish into english everything i got today.

Yes I do understand that, but the external is the easy part(un-plug/plug-in) and usually the lesser expense. Hopefully if the drivers can be somewhat easily replaced then it wouldn't be too hard to upgrade in the future.

With a 65g tank I really think 2 IO units will be massive and very much overkill at full power, so I really don't expect to need to upgrade anytime soon.

possibly no need to upgrade the lighting but you will get the itch to upgrade your tank sooner or later:lol::lol::lol:

ok here is the pic of the anodized heatsink for BP CREE units:

3kg = close to 6.5lbs 30mm in height

bp_cree_lens_3.jpg

Back