• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Pacific Sun LED group buy

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I guess I don't understand. What do "focal lenses" do and how much more money would it cost to have added them to my fixture?

thats why you have to look at the right type of focal lenses. 3W cree at 100% power at 29" have over 200 PAR. I have a guy in NYC who has similar situation to yours and he went with 80 degree focal lenses since he wants leds about 15" the water. you have to understand your needs and creater leds towards your needs.

now, as I said earlier - you have a good point and I can tell you with 100% believe - if CREE will come with newer bulbs in 3 months and the guy who makes the lamps - he will put the new ones in. He wants to have the best current lamp on the mkt.

don't you lose some spread when you use the focal lense?

well - yes and no. think about angels. one is 120 other 80 at 10" in height. if you raise your 80 to 15" than your spread will be the same if you look at the coverage. you lose PAR. you would lose coverage if you would go from 120 to 80 and not adjust the height.

don't you lose some spread when you use the focal lense?

possibly no need to upgrade the lighting but you will get the itch to upgrade your tank sooner or later:lol::lol::lol:

Haha yeah, I am actually going the opposit of the way you went. You went from the 40b to the 270...I'm going 100g cube to 65DD.

I guess I don't understand. What do "focal lenses" do and how much more money would it cost to have added them to my fixture?

They focus and compress the light in a more direct manner. They can be used to get more light to a deeper tank.

one more thing that just came in the email from Przemek about the 5W issue:

led bulbs both 3W and 5W both have XP-G and XP-E but in limitied edition have XP-E 500-575mw - and in normal you have 425-500mw (blues), whites - 139lm/W with cold color W0

limited edition: fans are stronger and cooling algorathym is changed
limited edition: focal lenses are standard - can be taken off if desired.

I hope I translated it correctly.

See.... this is exactly why I am holding out. I have heard of the 5w cree LED lamps. I know you say this is a limited edition piece but once that hit the market others will follow.

So then, theoretically, if we ever wanted to upgrade to 5W then we would just have to change and driver? (looking for the angle here)

I am not that good - but I will get you an answer to it. you have to remember there is internal driver and external driver (power supply).

Yes I do understand that, but the external is the easy part(un-plug/plug-in) and usually the lesser expense. Hopefully if the drivers can be somewhat easily replaced then it wouldn't be too hard to upgrade in the future.

With a 65g tank I really think 2 IO units will be massive and very much overkill at full power, so I really don't expect to need to upgrade anytime soon.

possibly no need to upgrade the lighting but you will get the itch to upgrade your tank sooner or later:lol::lol::lol:

Hey guys check this out, This may answer the question of upgrades.....

"This system give our customers possibilities to easy change strip in lamp in situation when it is damaged - or user want to change our X-plore strip to another one - for example with better LED chip - if they were developed in the future. So - there is no needed any computer changing, power supply etc - this give our customers possibilities to enjoy our products - and customise it for their requirements."

heres the link:

http://www.aquariumled.eu/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=6

upgrades between 3W and 3W - that is correct - sectional x-plore part will do the trick. 5W is a different story - different cooling system, different power supply etc.

Do the led put off uvb light? what type of glass or plexiglass lid do you recommend with the led

I do not have information on plaxiglass lid that is used by PacSun.

as far as UVB/UVA - i know there is a lot of debate going on. but to answer your question - I will go a little bit different way. do you have UVB in T5 or MH? if yes, which one. thats one.

second, take a look at T5 spectrums of two most popular T5 bulbs:

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

Frist one is Spezial and the second is Blue Plus.

here is the spectrum of CREE LEDs:

showphoto.php

and final part - both ATI bulbs combined over LED:

showphoto.php

I hope it helps to answer your question.

Do the led put off uvb light? what type of glass or plexiglass lid do you recommend with the led

I know that this group buy is done now, but I was curious what lighting I'd need to go with over my 300 gal sps dominated aquarium? Dimensions are 96x24x30 there are only 3 openings on top of the tank that I believe are somewhere between 24-30" wide.

Here's an old pic to show rock placement. I wouldn't want to be limited by the light though if we decided to have a deeper aquarium later on and I do keep sps at the bottom of the tank. We are currently using 3 400W halides ran on HQI ballasts:
FullTankShot.jpg

I was meaning to say i want to put glass lids on my tank. do the glass lids block any of the spectrum? what choice of material would you suggest making lids out of?(acrylic, plexiglass, starfire glass, or regular glass?)

I dont have too much expirience with it. maybe others can help.

I was meaning to say i want to put glass lids on my tank. do the glass lids block any of the spectrum? what choice of material would you suggest making lids out of?(acrylic, plexiglass, starfire glass, or regular glass?)

3 160W units should easily replace 3 400MH. see part output of 160W unit.

BP160W-70.jpg

I dont know how high you plan on putting you ligts above the water level - but might consider 80 degree focal lenses if needed in your case. I would need to know more details about your tank and current lighting set up.

I know that this group buy is done now, but I was curious what lighting I'd need to go with over my 300 gal sps dominated aquarium? Dimensions are 96x24x30 there are only 3 openings on top of the tank that I believe are somewhere between 24-30" wide.

Here's an old pic to show rock placement. I wouldn't want to be limited by the light though if we decided to have a deeper aquarium later on and I do keep sps at the bottom of the tank. We are currently using 3 400W halides ran on HQI ballasts:
FullTankShot.jpg

Yes Glass lids will block some of the light as I have seen when I did the Demo at Barrier reef.

I would suggest making your own lids using bird netting and screen framing.

imo, i wouldnt use lids to cover up your aquarium. you will lose gas exchange with the atmosphere and will result in low ph.
as for the lights, they come shipped with suspension cables or you can use the rails that they manufacture

Back