padding under acrylic tanks? / silicone question?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You can buy the silicone at home depot or Lowes. Just make sure it is the type I, 100% GE silicone. same stuff All Glass markets in their tube for a lot more money. - DO NOT buy the silicone that says it has anti-bacterial or anti-mildew properties

thanks Scooty.... that's great idea about building a box and pouring in gypcrete to create a level surface. i may try that as it's going on a concrete floor.

thanks Brian for the silicone info.

Has anyone seen a tank manufacturer recommend using foam under the tank on a website? I have heard some store recommend it, but never have seen the recommendation in print from a tank manufacturer.

one other benefit of foam is insulation. i use a bubble wrap that has foil on both sides. i use it in back too. if i needed a chiller for temp control then i wouldnt want the insulation.

The foam under a tank also acts as a self leveling tool. If your floor isn't totally level the foam will help counter act that. I find in most cases you don't need it. I do it for piece of mind. Besides if you drop a rock by accident, believe it or not, it will act as a dampener, reducing the impact. Doesn't help scratches though :(.

I have a star board bottom myself.

Has anyone seen a tank manufacturer recommend using foam under the tank on a website? I have heard some store recommend it, but never have seen the recommendation in print from a tank manufacturer.

Ok, here goes... I recommend using foam under your tank and sump. It helps even out everything, helps with slight leveling issues and insulates. I use 1/2" styrofoam insulation from Home Depot/ Lowes with the plastic film (3/4 is fine as well). Closed cell foam would be the best to use for any water spill and absorption issues, but the cheap stuff works well. Acrylic does have alot of flex to it, but why tempt fate? The most important thing to remember with acrylic tanks is that the bottom must be fully supported (holes for plumbing ect.. is ok).

There, now you can mark that one off the list of never seen...;)

Ooops, forgot about the silicone. (think I've sniffed too much weld on today :lol: ) Silicone seems to work fine with acrylic in non-structural issues. Sealing bulkheads, EXTREMELY temporary fixing for a leaky overflow, sticking stuff to the bottom of the tank, squishing between a plate and a bulkhead to downsize, adding walls in a sump, ect.... Anything meant to last, be permanent or structural should be done with weld on. ( or any of the other brands of solvent type adhesives ) If you have a problem getting silicone to hold something to the bottom of the tank consider using some rough sand paper to scuff the acrylic and give the silicone a better chance to "stick". (but don't sand too deep :lol: ).

You can actually use GE silicone II window and door. Its the bathroom stuff that has the mold and mildew resistant chemicals in it that is bad for your tank. Like you've said, just make sure to give silicone time to dry or else the "hold", or strength, will be really weak.

nano_reeflover said:
You can actually use GE silicone II window and door. Its the bathroom stuff that has the mold and mildew resistant chemicals in it that is bad for your tank. Like you've said, just make sure to give silicone time to dry or else the "hold", or strength, will be really weak.

No silicone II has other additives not recommended in aquariums, like I said I used it before but would not recommend it either, read the labels on the GE II I can't remember exactly what it was, It says not aquarium safe on it also.

ROFL...So 20 grit on an electric sander for 20 mins is out of the question then

Krish.... put the belt sander down and step away slowly......:lol:

I found another source for aquarium silicone today. Home Depot ran out of 45 deg fittings so I ran to the local Ace/ True Value store. I was blown away by the awesome plumbing section here at our local Poulsbo store, and I seem to remember going with my Dad to the one on Bainbridge, even larger plumbing section, ....oops got off on a tangent... anyway, I remembered I needed another tube of silicone and so I went to that section. I was looking for the Type I GE silicone and I found a tube of silicone actually labeled "Aquarium Silicone" ( actually they had five or so of them), how about that? So, don't forget to check out your local Mom and Pop store every now and then, they can be full of goodies too. ( oh, and damn the man while we're at it..;) )

ok, I bought foam and put it under the tank. guess what? now my closed loop plumbing is thrown out a quarter of inch or so! i'm sure that will be thrown back into balance once i put some water in the tank and it compresses the foam. right now i just put an extra pad under the closed loop pump to raise it up and that is working. i didn't even think about that.

How thick did you get Matt?
Hey Brian that is good to know, go figure real aquarium silicone not the 6 bucks for a small tube stuff lol

i got 1/2 thick foam.... i thought the 3/4 was way too thick. i did not know how much this foam compressed under the weight of a tank.

heheh...hopefully it will once i add some water and compress the foam. i'm working on sealing up the overflow using weld on. wish me luck! :) i can't believe the tank builder didn't catch that as it's frustrating.

Krish.... put the belt sander down and step away slowly......

LOL...Too late!:p

Everyone Matts high!:lol: He's on another thread telling people he's high from inhaling weldon glue and probably thinks he is posting here in this thread:lol:

Back